Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Any moms have an SO who is a trucker?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:22 AM
Ley
  • 135 Replies
Df begins classes soon to become a trucker. I'll admit, I'm a little scared and upset. I'm worried about the effect it will have on our relationship and his relationship with our daughters. I'm scared about pretty much being a single mom (I know I technically won't be, but I know it's gonna seem like I am one). I watched my mom go through it when my stepdad became a trucker. He eventually quit because he missed birthdays, holidays, and his and Mom's anniversary. He no longer really knew me and my siblings and his relationship with Mom was suffering. I don't want that to happen to us. I know he'll miss birthdays and holidays, and that's what's upsetting me. That and the fact that I will hear the same question from my oldest daughter that my mom heard from my sister: "When's Daddy coming home?"

I want to be supportive without hurting myself and our daughters. Any advice?
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ashley1113
by Ley on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:23 AM
Bump
Canvas_says
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:25 AM
My husband for six years now. It's a learning curve, patience and communication are key. But my husband has never missed an important holiday or birthday..
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:25 AM
My FIL is a trucker. It destroyed both of his marriages. :/ we still only see him a few times a year around the holidays if he's lucky.
LisaRoyNKaden
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:25 AM
The best advice I can give.... let him get a years experience over the road, then have him apply to local trucking companies! He will be home a lot more!
schatzi869
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:25 AM
My dad has been a long-haul trucker since I was a baby. You call every night. Have him send postcards from cool places. And don't guilt-trip him. He'll hurt to.

My grandpa and my uncle are truckers too.
Ashley1113
by Ley on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:26 AM
Df would more than likely be home every other weekend, but that is it.

Quoting Canvas_says: My husband for six years now. It's a learning curve, patience and communication are key. But my husband has never missed an important holiday or birthday..
Ashley1113
by Ley on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:26 AM
I'm so afraid of that :(

Quoting nocalmegan: My FIL is a trucker. It destroyed both of his marriages. :/ we still only see him a few times a year around the holidays if he's lucky.
Ashley1113
by Ley on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:27 AM
I'm worried about our youngest. She's just now month old. I'm scared she won't know her dad.

Quoting LisaRoyNKaden: The best advice I can give.... let him get a years experience over the road, then have him apply to local trucking companies! He will be home a lot more!
Canvas_says
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:27 AM
My husband tries for every five to six weeks but we play with that schedule depending on what is coming

Quoting Ashley1113: Df would more than likely be home every other weekend, but that is it.

Quoting Canvas_says: My husband for six years now. It's a learning curve, patience and communication are key. But my husband has never missed an important holiday or birthday..
Ashley1113
by Ley on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:28 AM
I won't guilt-trip him, but he also has to understand that this is a decision he made by himself. There are going to be consequences. I just don't want his relationship with his family to be one of them :(

Quoting schatzi869: My dad has been a long-haul trucker since I was a baby. You call every night. Have him send postcards from cool places. And don't guilt-trip him. He'll hurt to.

My grandpa and my uncle are truckers too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)