Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help... Where do we go in the event of a tornado.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies
The weather we had tonight really got me wondering this. We live in a mobile home so we don't have a basement nor a storm cellar to go to. I know you are supposed to go to a room with no windows but we have 3 options that fit that. Bathroom, bedroom closest, and laundry room. Where would we go? Leaving our home isn't really a choice because we live pretty far out so we couldn't try to outrun a tornado to get somewhere safer.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:36 AM
Bump
Bleacher-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:37 AM
Do you have any structures outside like garage? You need to get a storm shelter that gets mostly buried in the ground. If you don't get one, make sure your mobile home is strapped down, keep up with the weather and go to friends or families house way before storm gets bad.
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:37 AM
3 moms liked this
Get OUT of a mobile home.Get into a ditch or just lie flat on the ground. Mobile homes are not safe.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:40 AM
Yes we have a shed that is cemented into the ground but it's just tin and doesn't seem very sturdy. We don't have family local and no friends because we are new to the area. I will have to look into a storm shelter.

Quoting Bleacher-mom: Do you have any structures outside like garage? You need to get a storm shelter that gets mostly buried in the ground. If you don't get one, make sure your mobile home is strapped down, keep up with the weather and go to friends or families house way before storm gets bad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:40 AM
We have no ditches but I didn't think about laying on the ground. Is that safe?

Quoting momof2boy2girl: Get OUT of a mobile home.Get into a ditch or just lie flat on the ground. Mobile homes are not safe.
PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:41 AM

Luckily for us we have a fire station 2 minutes from us and we go there during a bad storm before things get worse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:43 AM
We have a fire station about 20 mins from us. There isn't even a store or something with a sound structure we could try to get to.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Luckily for us we have a fire station 2 minutes from us and we go there during a bad storm before things get worse.

JustMeKat
by Kat on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:44 AM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:45 AM
You tap your shoes together and the tornado will carry you to safety.
drsmith94
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:47 AM
They have shelters they can install underground. They're a few thousand but completely worth it in a situation like yours. I'd look into them and try for a loan if you can't afford it. That's what we did.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)