Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think it's right to not take kids to prison to visit their parents?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

My mom was telling me about her friend's daughter. Her husband went to jail, sentenced to 5 years for aggravated assault after he got into a bar fight. She served him with divorce papers in prison, and her kids are 13 and 15. 

The prison he's in is 4 hours from their house. He calls her daily asking about the kids, but they refuse to speak to him and don't want to go visit. Her parents support her 100%, but his parents call her constantly asking to take the kids, saying they'll regret not visiting their father, that the kids are the only thing keeping him going, etc. She just says they kids don't want to, and that if she ever hears of them pressuring them to go, she'll cut off contact with them.

What do you think? Would you make them go?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2014 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hubris_Huntsman
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 5:55 PM
I would definitely not make them go.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 29, 2014 at 5:56 PM
I wouldn't make them go, no. If they were younger, maybe, but they're old enough to decide for themselves.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 29, 2014 at 5:59 PM
I wouldn't take my kids to see anyone in prison.
When I was a kid my grandparents took me to a prison to visit my uncle (locked up for child molestation, nice huh?) and it was terrifying.
I didn't even go beyond the waiting area (I wasn't allowed in to actually visit) and it was traumatizing.
They also took me to pick him up from prison when he got out.
Kids don't belong there.
MommyChance
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:04 PM
Kids don't belong in prisons. They are also old enough to choose to not go. I agree with the mom, his parents shouldn't even think about influencing them to go, it would put her and the kids, in a very bad position.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't make them go. When you do something and you go to jail for it there are consequences. If he really wanted to preserve a good relationship with his kids and they meant so much to him he could have not done something that would send him to jail. No way.

mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
They are old enough to decide. I bet there is more history than this one incident.
Chirinos
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Their old enough to make their own decision on weather or not they want to see their father and if they don't want to I wouldn't force them. Now in my case here my ex maybe facing prison time my youngest wants to go see his dad and I would take him to see him that is if he's put into prison right now he's out on probation and goes back to court in July.
LuvMommysBabies
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
They're old enough to decide if they want to go or not
momma2mms
by Kristin on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I would never even suggest taking my child.

Nutrition_Guru
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:15 PM
I'd never take my kid to visit anyone in prison.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN