Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i have a question about disablity

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:52 AM
  • 8 Replies

Poll

Question: should i try to get him disability to help pay for the extra things I need because he is a special little boy?

Options:

yes

no

other and explain please

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 6

View Results

Ok so i do not really like to call my ADHD/ bipolar sensation issued son disabled i just think of him as a really fast rollar coster of emotions that you can not hug tightly.  But other people call it  disability and keep telling me he should get him on disability and I was wonder what you ladies thought.    He is only 10 years old I am worried about the label following him for the rest of his life.  He knows he is different but we have never called it a disablity.

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:22 AM
Ssi is a long hard road unless you are severely disabled. I have head of kids like your son receiving it, but be prepared to be denied your first time. If it is something that you are willing to fight for , appeal and appeal again. It is a long process good luck!
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:26 AM

I would just for the fact it could help him gain therapies to teach him coping skills to be a productive person in life.

krazymama4
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Ty for your response.  I was told I was told i should apply for myself since I am bipolar and have a hard time keeping a job when i get in a depressed state, but I just became a stay at home mom.

Quoting Anonymous: Ssi is a long hard road unless you are severely disabled. I have head of kids like your son receiving it, but be prepared to be denied your first time. If it is something that you are willing to fight for , appeal and appeal again. It is a long process good luck
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:34 AM
It can't hurt to apply, but you will have to jump threw hoops to get it. You will need lots of documentation. From usually more than one Dr, therapists, and proof of not being able to hold a job. Again you will get denied your first go round, it is pretty common. But you DO HAVE THE RIGHT to appeal.
Are your Dr's behind you on this? Are you medicated? Have you tried different meds? Are they working? I'm not being nosey and you do not need to answer that here but those are some factors they will look at.

Quoting krazymama4:

Ty for your response.  I was told I was told i should apply for myself since I am bipolar and have a hard time keeping a job when i get in a depressed state, but I just became a stay at home mom.

Quoting Anonymous: Ssi is a long hard road unless you are severely disabled. I have head of kids like your son receiving it, but be prepared to be denied your first time. If it is something that you are willing to fight for , appeal and appeal again. It is a long process good luck
srltb143
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:38 AM

I would definately apply....think you can do the initial application online.  Most people get denied the first time around, and at that point you appeal.  It takes a while.  Wouldn't hurt for you to try to apply for yourself, especially if you can provide them with past employers at jobs where you have lost your job due to your disorder.  Dh has bipolar disorder and has filed for disability...we have already filed his appeal and are waiting to hear from them.  He loses every job he gets because of his disorder, and it is incredibly hard for him to work when not on his meds.  When he is on his meds it is impossible for him to work because of the side effects.  

krazymama4
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Yes I am medicated but am having issues trying to find the meds that will work best for me as after awhile on meds my body builds a tollerance and have had to switch meds every year or so.  I just got off meds that were making me sleep 18 hours a day.   My doctor wants what ever I want to do.    Where as my son is not on meds cause all the adhd meds affect his bipolar and vice versa.

Quoting Anonymous: It can't hurt to apply, but you will have to jump threw hoops to get it. You will need lots of documentation. From usually more than one Dr, therapists, and proof of not being able to hold a job. Again you will get denied your first go round, it is pretty common. But you DO HAVE THE RIGHT to appeal. Are your Dr's behind you on this? Are you medicated? Have you tried different meds? Are they working? I'm not being nosey and you do not need to answer that here but those are some factors they will look at.
Quoting krazymama4:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:39 AM

I don't think he really needs it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:45 AM
Yikes, that sounds awful for you. I say try for it! It can't hurt.
I just recently got my ds approved it took almost a year of applying and appealing though. He has cp, spd, and some cognitive delays, and it is a great help to us. Especially since he is able to get more nursing and therapy hours. If your son needs OT/PT it is worth it.

Quoting krazymama4:

Yes I am medicated but am having issues trying to find the meds that will work best for me as after awhile on meds my body builds a tollerance and have had to switch meds every year or so.  I just got off meds that were making me sleep 18 hours a day.   My doctor wants what ever I want to do.    Where as my son is not on meds cause all the adhd meds affect his bipolar and vice versa.

Quoting Anonymous: It can't hurt to apply, but you will have to jump threw hoops to get it. You will need lots of documentation. From usually more than one Dr, therapists, and proof of not being able to hold a job. Again you will get denied your first go round, it is pretty common. But you DO HAVE THE RIGHT to appeal.
Are your Dr's behind you on this? Are you medicated? Have you tried different meds? Are they working? I'm not being nosey and you do not need to answer that here but those are some factors they will look at.

Quoting krazymama4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)