Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to die or not to die...what would you do

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:24 AM
  • 13 Replies
I am an RN. I work at a nursing home. There is a resident on the dementia unit... in his chart it says "please call family for approval prior to sending resident to the hospital"...

If the resident were dieing and could be saved at the hospital.. but the family decides not to send him...

Would you send him to the hospital or follow family wishes?

This is hypothetical... im not basing any decisions off of opinions. I know my legal obligations
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orchardmoma
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:29 AM

I would simply follow the law. Is the patient incompasitated and not able to make his/her own medical decisions? If by law you have to do as the family wants then that's what I would do. If I agreed or not.

sweettea1985
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:31 AM
Its just hypothetical. I agree with you. I have coworkers who disagree.
Amybelle
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:32 AM

follow the LAW

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Follow the families wishes. My grandmother had dementia. She completely lost herself before she died. What's the point of extending their lives at that point?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:39 AM

It's pretty simple, if you decide to make up your own rules rather than follow the rules/laws you swore to follow, you will no longer be in the nursing profession.

PandTsmomjuly
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:40 AM

Where I work we have to follow family wishes for our assisted living residents. I have questioned a few things (telling us not to let certain people contact the resident, etc) that I thought were illegal but was told "It's what the family wants" so I just go with it. I figure the facility will get in trouble, not me, lol.

vegetarianmom23
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:42 AM
You have to follow what the family's wishes or it could turn into a shit show.
Dawnzilla
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:45 AM
No freaking way. IF they decide to grant "permission", by the time you get ahold of them, it may be too late! I'd be calling, and let them deal with it. How is that even legal?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:48 AM

If that was myself and I was to the point I couldn't really live my life I would choose to be DNR. We had that for our grandma when she was in a nursing home. There comes a point when there is no quality of life and it's time to let go. I've told my husband, and I gave papers on file that if I was in a coma with no hope for recovery I would not want to be kept alive with machines and prolong my family's agony.

Sammi20
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:50 AM

I would call.. but if they didn't answer I'm sending him! (Is that how it works??)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)