Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 18 year old got his 14 year old "fiance" pregnant

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 160 Replies
1 mom liked this

*The last time I posted this the admins took it down because things got too heated. Lets refrain from name calling and being rude to each other *

I posted awhile back about how I found out that my 18 year old son was dating a 14 year old girl. I was very shocked as he had always dated girls his own age. My son is not one of those really immature for his age guys so they are very different maturity wise. He is already on his second year of college/living on his own. 

Well first I found out they were dating. I thought it would be illegal and went to see a lawyer about it. Turns out that because my son is not more than 4 years older than her it is legal in this state. (see first comment to read the law). I still couldnt believe it so I went to see another lawyer...it is still legal. 

Well I was devastated....it just kept getting worse and worse until I found out that they got engaged. 

Now she is pregnant and moving in with him. Her parents are excited. I feel like this is some twisted joke that just never ends. I am very disappointed in my son. People asked for an update and so I wanted to give one. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:52 AM

ยง 14-27.7A.  Statutory rape or sexual offense of person who is 13, 14, or 15 years old.

(a)        A defendant is guilty of a Class B1 felony if the defendant engages in vaginal intercourse or a sexual act with another person who is 13, 14, or 15 years old and the defendant is at least six years older than the person, except when the defendant is lawfully married to the person.

(b)        A defendant is guilty of a Class C felony if the defendant engages in vaginal intercourse or a sexual act with another person who is 13, 14, or 15 years old and the defendant is more than four but less than six years older than the person, except when the defendant is lawfully married to the person. (1995, c. 281, s. 1.)

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_7A.html

Justine1993
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:52 AM
I'm sorry.
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:52 AM
Wow. So are her parents going to watch the baby while she's in school?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:53 AM

I have no clue what the plan is for that. They havent really thought it through. My worst fear is that my son will stop going to school to watch the baby 

Quoting Devious333: Wow. So are her parents going to watch the baby while she's in school?

1TallMamaCA
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:54 AM
All the parents have to do is sign off on the wedding, and she's then your daughter in law.
Aussie.mum
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:55 AM
2 moms liked this
That is so weird that her parents are all for it! I'm sorry you are going through this, guess you just have to make the decision whether you want to be a part of their lives or not. I don't envy you : (
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Well because she is 14 she will have to go in front of a judge....her being pregnant will help the case though. So who knows either they get married now or in 2 years when her parents can sign 

Quoting 1TallMamaCA: All the parents have to do is sign off on the wedding, and she's then your daughter in law.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:55 AM
1 mom liked this
She can do online schooling, so could he technically.

She will likely drop out, following the birth of a second child within two years, statistically.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have no clue what the plan is for that. They havent really thought it through. My worst fear is that my son will stop going to school to watch the baby 

Quoting Devious333: Wow. So are her parents going to watch the baby while she's in school?

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:56 AM
Well they will qualify for daycare assistance...I think anyway. Not sure how that works with her being a minor and in HS though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1TallMamaCA
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:58 AM
Minors between the ages of 14-16 may lawfully marry if the prospective wife is pregnant, or has given birth, and intends to marry the father of her child. The marriage of minors between the ages of 14-16 must also be authorized by a district court. The court can authorize an underage marriage if the court determines that the minor is capable of assuming the responsibilities of marriage and that the marriage will be in the minor's best interests. If the minor's parents oppose his or her marriage, then it is presumed that it would not be in the minor's best interests to marry.
http://www.montylaw.com/north-carolina-family-laws/marriage-laws.aspx

Quoting Anonymous:

Well because she is 14 she will have to go in front of a judge....her being pregnant will help the case though. So who knows either they get married now or in 2 years when her parents can sign 

Quoting 1TallMamaCA: All the parents have to do is sign off on the wedding, and she's then your daughter in law.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)