Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I tell my kids there is no such thing as safe sex....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
5 moms liked this

Because there really isnt such thing as safe sex. Sure there is "safer sex" and using protection is very important but that doesnt make it safe. You can still get pregnant, you can still get STDs while birth control/ protection makes it safer and should ALWAYS be used it doesnt make it safe

One of my biggest pet peeves is when parents tell their kids that as long as they are "safe" about it they wont get pregnant/get someone pregnant. It can still happen. There is always a chance. Making kids feel like as long as they use a condom and birth control pregnancy cant happen is not going to help them at all. 

ETA: I think people are misunderstanding what I am trying to say. I am not trying to scare my kids so they dont have sex I am being factual with them. Sex is not safe...there are precautions you should take but there are always risks. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TaralynnStewart
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:29 AM
I have told my 11y/o the same
IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I think everyone should encourge safe sex. If they are using a condom and on birth control, the chance of something happening is very, very slim.

Scaring children out of having sex, rather than educating them about facts is not helping at all.

Justine1993
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:30 AM
This

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

I think everyone should encourge safe sex. If they are using a condom and on birth control, the chance of something happening is very, very slim.

Scaring children out of having sex, rather than educating them about facts is not helping at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:30 AM

My point is that using condoms and birth control does not make sex safe....yes it makes it safer

I am saying educate them but telling them that they are safe as long as they use them is just not true.  

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Educating children about facts, rather than trying to scare them out of having sex is not helping them at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this

My point is that using condoms and birth control does not make sex safe....yes it makes it safer

I am saying educate them but telling them that they are safe as long as they use them is just not true.  

Quoting Justine1993: This
Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:56 AM

This. As a matter of fact it usually makes them want to do it more rather than scaring them. I will agree there is no such thing as truely safe sex, esp. when it comes to STDs. Condoms & bc do not protect in everything. Fully educate them on STDs and pregnancy. And ways they can prevent it, you cannot keep your child from being active, only do your best in educating them and keeping them as safe as possible.

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:01 AM

I am not trying to scare them into not having sex. I am educating them. The fact remains that sex is never safe unless you are trying for a baby. 

Quoting Anonymous:

This. As a matter of fact it usually makes them want to do it more rather than scaring them. I will agree there is no such thing as truely safe sex, esp. when it comes to STDs. Condoms & bc do not protect in everything. Fully educate them on STDs and pregnancy. And ways they can prevent it, you cannot keep your child from being active, only do your best in educating them and keeping them as safe as possible.

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Lol...apearently people can't read!!

i completely understand what you're saying OP. But you have to realize, here on CM you can't tell your children there are negative side effects of sex, and you must allow them to have sex as soon as they show an interest (it's even better if you take your 11 year old and her boyfriend to buy lingerie!) however, if your child ends up pregnant you are a failure as a parent because you allowed your child to have sex. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:03 AM

because you parents are so hung up on sex all the time and trying to put fear into your children about, I dont doubt many of your children ( many moms on here) will probably have sexual problems in the future.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:04 AM

I am not trying to put fear into my children...just fully educating them about sex. 

Quoting Anonymous:

because you parents are so hung up on sex all the time and trying to put fear into your children about, I dont doubt many of your children ( many moms on here) will probably have sexual problems in the future.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)