Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need honest opinions...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

I work at a preschool.  We have children ranging in age from 2 years old up to 5 years old. 

Well onto the problem.  We have a little one that is in the 2 year old class.  When he comes in for school in the morning he smells of cigarette smoke and his backpack smells to high heaven also. 

How do  you approach the parents.  I am talking the odar was so bad this past Wednesday we ended up putting the backpack outside to air it out.  It smelled the whole hallway in our school up and it was enough to give you a headache.  The teacher went home with a throbbing headache on Wednesday due to this.  Is there something that anyone could suggest? 

I figure what it is going to come down to is just dealing with it like we have been.  I told the teacher I would bring in a bottle of Febreeze and see if it will neutralize the smell on the backpack. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:25 AM
The director needs to talk to the parents.
Lifeisadream
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Poor little guy : (
destiny3513
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Eh, is it illegal to smoke in the car in your state(with children)? Maybe send a memo out reminding them of the new law??? Or just telling them privately. I've lived in a smoke filled house I never knew I stunk until I was older. Ew, glad I don't smell now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Only thing you can do, is febreeze it because you can not tell his parents they can not smoke in their own home just because the smell bothers you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:28 AM

That is pretty much what has been going through my mind since this past Wednesday.  I am usually very tolerant of smells but OMG I ended up having to go outside for awhile due to the fact of the smell.  :/

Quoting Lifeisadream: Poor little guy : (

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:29 AM
So sad but I don't know if there is anything you can do. Me? I would take the backpack from mom at the door and say "oh we keep this one outside because the cigarette smell is offensive to the little ones."
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:29 AM
No, but you could stop watching the child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Only thing you can do, is febreeze it because you can not tell his parents they can not smoke in their own home just because the smell bothers you.

Lifeisadream
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM
I could never work at a daycare or preschool for that reason. I would be worried constantly about little ones like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

That is pretty much what has been going through my mind since this past Wednesday.  I am usually very tolerant of smells but OMG I ended up having to go outside for awhile due to the fact of the smell.  :/

Quoting Lifeisadream: Poor little guy : (

Lifeisadream
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Maybe this? A little hint?

Quoting Anonymous: So sad but I don't know if there is anything you can do. Me? I would take the backpack from mom at the door and say "oh we keep this one outside because the cigarette smell is offensive to the little ones."
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM

I realize that.  I was just looking for ideas.  Honestly the smell more so bothers the teacher due to the fact the smell is so strong.  Febreeze it is then. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)