Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok is the burial the same as the funeral?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:28 AM
  • 34 Replies

Mobile Photo

I haven't been to many funerals but every one I've been to the funeral is different than the burial and the burial has only been for close friends and family.

So is the burial and funeral the same? Is that something I, as a childhood friend, go to or do I just go to the viewing?
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_me
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:31 AM
No. A funeral is done usually at the funeral home with a priest of pastor speaking.

A burial is done graveside with a eulogy.

At least from the funerals I've been to have been done this way
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Maybe it was a typo. If the viewing is at a funeral home, I would assume they meant funeral. Burial (like you said) is usually after.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:32 AM
The funeral is usually at the church or funeral patrol and the burial is usually at the cemetery.
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:32 AM
The funeral home and cemetery are all on the same ground.

That's the 2nd person that has said burial, granted its on fb. Her obit isn't up yet because I was hoping that would give me more info.

Quoting iamcafemom83: Maybe it was a typo. If the viewing is at a funeral home, I would assume they meant funeral. Burial (like you said) is usually after.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:32 AM
When my MIL died there was a viewing, a mass, then a cemetery service.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM

It seems they just used the wrong word, since a burial will not be at the same place as a viewing....

lasombrs
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM
The viewing is the wake in the funeral home. The funeral is the mass in a church if their religion does that. The burial is the putting into the ground at the cemetery. Not many I have been to do the cemetery thing at all including close family. If the mention it to everyone then they must want people to attend. The one I went to that I remembered all loves ones took a flower from the arrangements and dropped it into the grave as a last good bye. Go if you feel comfortable in that environment I would say.
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:36 AM
Hmmm. Well can you contact the funeral home to clarify?

Quoting Roxygurl: The funeral home and cemetery are all on the same ground.

That's the 2nd person that has said burial, granted its on fb. Her obit isn't up yet because I was hoping that would give me more info.

Quoting iamcafemom83: Maybe it was a typo. If the viewing is at a funeral home, I would assume they meant funeral. Burial (like you said) is usually after.
VintageWife
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:36 AM
Some say funeral and some say burial. The point is that, at 3, they will say some words about her at the grave before she is lowered. The preacher saying something may happen there or at the funeral home before a procession of cars moves on to the cemetery. Ask someone in the family how they've arranged it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:37 AM
See this is what confuses me, unless the space at the plot is huge I don't see how they could do that there and want everyone to go. She was a much loved person and there was 1000 of us that graduated together and I'm not exaggerating when I say everyone loved her. I know not everyone we graduated with can attend but I know there will be a ton on top of her very big family.

Quoting lasombrs: The viewing is the wake in the funeral home. The funeral is the mass in a church if their religion does that. The burial is the putting into the ground at the cemetery. Not many I have been to do the cemetery thing at all including close family. If the mention it to everyone then they must want people to attend. The one I went to that I remembered all loves ones took a flower from the arrangements and dropped it into the grave as a last good bye. Go if you feel comfortable in that environment I would say.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)