Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Denying C-sections before 39 weeks?!

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am due with my 4th baby in August. My first was stillborn at 39 weeks and born via emergency csection after 22 hours of induced labor and only dilating 3 cm in those 22 hours. He was 9 lbs at birth. My second was born at 36.6 weeks via scheduled csection and was 10 lbs at birth. #3 was born via csection at 38 weeks and was 11 lbs at birth. I have a huge fear of this Baby being 12-13 lbs at birth. I was hoping for another planned csection at 38 weeks but I am now reading that they are denying csections until 39 weeks unless its medically necessary. My question is what would be considered medically necessary? Would the size of my kids be considered medically necessary plus the fact that I had a Stillborn Son at 39 weeks...the stress that would be put on me if I waited until 39 weeks?! I have a Dr appointment on Friday so I will be talking to my Dr then but I was just curious if any of you would know?! Just to add too, I have had 4 more losses between 2010-2013 which just adds more to my stress level of waiting until 39 weeks. None of the 4 Babies went to full term, all were first trimester losses. Please dont make this a debate about csections either, I wouldn't try a vbac even if my Dr let me which he won't.
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amandatoo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Bump
LyTe684
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM
I believe that would mean that you or the baby's life is in danger.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:48 AM
I would say thats medically necessary. The only real way to know is to ask your doc. I'm sorry for your losses :( Did they find out the cause for thw stillbirth? That may play a huge role in whether you can get an earlier csection.
Amandatoo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:51 AM
It was due to gestional diabetes which I also had with 2 and 3. I will be tested for it in the next few weeks for this baby.

Quoting Anonymous: I would say thats medically necessary. The only real way to know is to ask your doc. I'm sorry for your losses :( Did they find out the cause for thw stillbirth? That may play a huge role in whether you can get an earlier csection.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM

medically necessary means something wrong with you...like toxcemia...or something wrong with the baby. They will take the baby early if you do an amnio to see if the lungs are mature. I had one at a little over 37weeks however his lungs werent ready but i think thats cause i am a diabetic and diabetic babies lungs mature slower. my sis however has had 2 amnios with her kids both a little over 37weeks and both her babies lungs were mature so they took the babies early. i would maybe ask your ob to do an amnio to take the baby sooner...i think thats the only real way to have it done. they have certain rules/laws they have to follow thats why they cant just take the baby. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM
I do not know. Here's a bump. Just keep seeing other dr's until you find one who will do it. Having you and baby healthy, mentally and physically, is what matters. Sorry for your losses. Good luck to you and try not to stress over this. You will find a good doctor.
LyTe684
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM
There's the problem. Chances are high that you may have gd with this baby. It's not safe to induce before 39 weeks as the lungs may not be ready. (Typical with diabetes). Double edged sword.

Was your gd out of whack?

Quoting Amandatoo: It was due to gestional diabetes which I also had with 2 and 3. I will be tested for it in the next few weeks for this baby.

Quoting Anonymous: I would say thats medically necessary. The only real way to know is to ask your doc. I'm sorry for your losses :( Did they find out the cause for thw stillbirth? That may play a huge role in whether you can get an earlier csection.
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM

i have a friend who had a stillborn at 39 weeks in 2011 and the next baby she had at 37.5 weeks both c-sections. so maybe because of the previous stillborn they will do it sooner? she had another baby after that one but i'm not sure how early they let him come. no point in stressing until you talk to your doctor! Good LUck hun

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM
I was just talking to my Dr about this. I can't have one until at least 39 weeks and two days(not sure why the extra two days). I've had first and second trimester losses. I'm currently going to be 34 weeks on Thursday and the surgeon won't even meet with me until I'm 38 weeks, unless my preeclampsia gets worse.
Amandatoo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM
I was suppose to do a amino at 37 weeks with #2 but since I kept having contractions they just went ahead and did the csection a day early. He was born screaming with no issues, my DD born at 38 weeks had to be on oxygen for a day or two. I just worry about the amino causing a infection if they end up not taking him at 37 weeks after doing the amino. Or is that risk more in earlier weeks? Thank you for your response!!

Quoting Anonymous:

medically necessary means something wrong with you...like toxcemia...or something wrong with the baby. They will take the baby early if you do an amnio to see if the lungs are mature. I had one at a little over 37weeks however his lungs werent ready but i think thats cause i am a diabetic and diabetic babies lungs mature slower. my sis however has had 2 amnios with her kids both a little over 37weeks and both her babies lungs were mature so they took the babies early. i would maybe ask your ob to do an amnio to take the baby sooner...i think thats the only real way to have it done. they have certain rules/laws they have to follow thats why they cant just take the baby. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)