Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Telling the family today about baby

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM
  • 101 Replies
So, today is the grand reveal.

My mil, fil, sil, and bil are coming in from out of state today. We're going on vacation tomorrow for 4 days with them. We haven't seen them in a year.

They get to find out about the baby. I'm excited, anxious, stressed, and relieved all at the same time. I am excited to tell them finally. I'm 37 weeks today.

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING

**Before I'm told how awful I am for not telling them earlier. That they are family. They are the grandparents and should know that they are having another grand baby....

Every since we had our 2nd baby they have been telling us that 2 is enough. That they had 2 kids (even though they tried to adopt a couple more times) and that should be enough for us. Every time we have had a baby since then they say to name the baby "All Done, The End, No More, Finished...". Hubby and I both don't find this very funny.

We don't ask them for money. We aren't on PA. We own our own home and cars. We do fine.

They are just against big families. It stresses me out through my pregnancy to hear this every time we talk to them. I absolutely LOVE my inlaws. I WANT them to be involved. However, their past words over the years have excluded them from early knowledge of upcoming babies. If they even just pretended to be supportive of our choice to have a big family (not even happy, but your family your choice) I'd be fine!

My pregnancies are so much happier and stress free this way. Hubby agrees that we should wait to tell them until later. I even mentioned telling them at Christmas this time, but hubby said to wait. His family, his choice in my opinion.

So, although some will still find it awful we didn't tell them until now, I did it for my own well being. For the sake of creating less stress for my unborn baby.

**Update**

It went great.

Hubby was stuck at theatre practice, so I took the kids to see the family. They were all excited to see the kids. Said how much they changed. I laughed and said I changed too.

My mil asked if we knew what caused that (for real joking). I said no and we cracked up. Mil & Sil asked how much longer and I said 3 weeks. They laughed and said hopefully baby won't come on the trip.

My fil looked over a few minutes later and said I'd picked up a little weight and laughed. LOL
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twokids0407
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM
3 moms liked this
let us know how this goes. Very curious, good luck. Enjoy that little bundle.
MilkLover0203
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM
I wish you luck! Don't let negativity affect your happiness.
kcangel63
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Thanks. I'm sure it will be fine. I'm sure they'll be happy. I just hate this part.

Quoting twokids0407: let us know how this goes. Very curious, good luck. Enjoy that little bundle.
bethgoedeken
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Keep us updated on the reveal!

Cmgmqmmom
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Whatever works for your nuclear family. Your priority is your health and wellbeing and the health and wellbeing of your baby. If they're prone to causing stress, then they didn't deserve to know.
Good luck.
Bluescorpia
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Good luck!!! Please update their expressions. I hope they don't get too upset...maybe this will open their eyes on about themselves.
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

congrats on the baby? how many kids do you have? with our 4th we annouced at 22 weeks but we see our family more often and we couldn't  hide it any longer.

Suzy_Sunshine
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

How many children do you have?

I find your story strange not because I think you have an obligation to tell them at any particular point but because you continue the relationship and even vacation with them when they have made such intrusive negative comments about your family. 

I am not a fan of large families but I would never tell someone in real life that they have too many children.

jen161
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

BUMP!

jenerica.
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't tell my mom about my pregnancy until 3mo after the baby was born. I am all for drama free pregnancies. Congrats!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)