Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poof? Anyways... BFing and drinking.

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:05 AM
  • 116 Replies
11 moms liked this
This says it all for me.

"Compare the alcohol content of the breastmilk of a legally intoxicated mama (0.08 BAC) to the alcohol content of orange juice is approximately 0.09% ethanol-by-volume (aka ABV). The legally intoxicated mama will have breastmilk which has an ABV concentration that closely mirrors her BAC, approximately 0.08. That means that mama’s breastmilk when legally intoxicated is less alcoholic than orange juice! And for mamas who only consume one alcohol beverage, their BAC (and thus the ABV of their breastmilk) is considerably lower than that found in even the most innocuous of fresh juices"

http://evolutionaryparenting.com/guest-post-breastfeeding-and-alcohol-consumption/

I will say this over and over again. Breastfeeding and drinking is not child endangerment. You are not pumping alcohol into your baby. At most you are giving them milk that is similar to ORANGE JUICE! And that is if you are over the legal limit! Not after 1-2 drinks, I'm taking completely trashed. If you drink in moderation, those numbers are drastically smaller. After one drink your BAC therefore the ABV of your breast milk would be 0.0049%.

The dangers of drinking while breastfeeding apply to any parent. If you become too intoxicated you won't be able to care for your child. Which is why you should limit to 1-2 drinks or have a sober adult near by.

If you can't understand these numbers and how your body works, well then you probably shouldn't be drinking anyways...
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Plus-size-mommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
You go girl!!
Sara1218
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Agreed.
LaughCryLive
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Thanks! I always continued to breast feed with 1 drink.
Ms.Pteranodon
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Watch a lot of these high strung mamas are going to say this is just another reason not to give juice...

Quoting Sara1218: Agreed.
MilkLover0203
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not reading that. I didn't drink while breast feeding. I don't care if it is okay in moderation. I can wait until my child weans to throw a couple back.
Cmgmqmmom
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM
I asked the main sanctimommy to prove her claims and she never responded.
I'm curious if she'll come to this post and try to sound like she's not talking out of her ass.
Ms.Pteranodon
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM
4 moms liked this
Do you realize this is the definition of ignorance, correct?

Choosing not to drink, that's fine. Plenty of people don't drink.

But choosing not to take 62 seconds and read information because you could be wrong, well that's ignorant.

I respect the fact that you don't like to drink.

But to suggest that mamas are wrong for not waiting until their child weans. To suggest that a mother is wrong for doing something completely normal... That's wrong on several levels.

You are not inferior or any better of a parent because you don't drink

Quoting MilkLover0203: I'm not reading that. I didn't drink while breast feeding. I don't care if it is okay in moderation. I can wait until my child weans to throw a couple back.
ashleyrenee24
by 2ne1 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm always surprised that so many people don't know its safe to drink and breastfeed and that pumping and dumping is usually unnecessary. Breastfeeding is way less restricting than being pregnant.

MilkLover0203
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not ignorance. It's a personal choice. I don't NEED to drink while pregnant/breast feeding. I was never one of those women that felt an occasional glass of wine was fine during pregnancy, or the one that continued smoking because it'll be harder on the baby to quit. It's my job to ensure their safe arrival, and healthy life. It's my choice. I do drink. Just not while pregnant, or breast feeding. I could give a single fuck what other people do while they're pregnant/breast feeding. Not my child, not my problem. So you're confused.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon: Do you realize this is the definition of ignorance, correct?

Choosing not to drink, that's fine. Plenty of people don't drink.

But choosing not to take 62 seconds and read information because you could be wrong, well that's ignorant.

I respect the fact that you don't like to drink.

But to suggest that mamas are wrong for not waiting until their child weans. To suggest that a mother is wrong for doing something completely normal... That's wrong on several levels.

You are not inferior or any better of a parent because you don't drink

Quoting MilkLover0203: I'm not reading that. I didn't drink while breast feeding. I don't care if it is okay in moderation. I can wait until my child weans to throw a couple back.
Ms.Pteranodon
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM
And you know it's these sanctimommy that's callin the police on a woman for having a beer and breastfeeding...

Quoting Cmgmqmmom: I asked the main sanctimommy to prove her claims and she never responded.
I'm curious if she'll come to this post and try to sound like she's not talking out of her ass.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)