Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So sil thinks that it isn't fair that I'll cater to bils dietary needs, but not hers.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 81 Replies
Dds birthday is in a week. Sil wanted to know what food we'd be having. I told her. (Pizza, chips, veggie/fruit/cheese/cracker trays, just typical party food.).

Sil then insisted that I could not serve pizza becuase she won't be able to eat it.

I askd why she wouldn't be able to eat it. (We have a family barbecue every week, last week it was at her house and she decided to make pizza instead of cooking out, so a week ago she had no problems eating pizza...).

She said she couldn't eat it becuase she's on a diet. I told her if she didnt want to eat the pizza she could eat other foods that were there and that she could always eat he cauliflower crust pizza. (I make one every time we have pizza. I'm a type one diabetic, so is bil, and my other sil is pregnant and has gestational diabetes.).

She then demanded to know why I'll cater to bils special dietary needs but not hers.

I told her that while I understand she's on a diet, that's not special dietary needs and she could eat other foods. I also told her that my health, bils health and the health of sil2 and her baby relies heavily on our diets, which is why anytime we do the family cookouts and dinners bil and I always ask what's being made ahead of time so we can bring something if needed. (Like at her house last week. She made pizza, cheesecake,
Pizza puffs and cheese sticks. Which was too many carbs for bil, sil2 and I. So I made a cauliflower crust pizza and a small a sugar free cheesecake, and bil brought the salad.).

She says it isn't fair that I'll make sure to have alternative foods for them but not for her. And I told her once again that there would be alternative foods, if she didnt want to eat the regular pizza/snacks she could eat the some of the ones the three of us would be eating.

She insisted that being around the regular pizza and snacks would be too tempting and that if I wanted to serve them she wouldn't be coming.

So I told her that if that's how she feels than its fine, she can come and eat the food we have, come and bring her own food or not come at all, but I won't be taking things off the menu that she "can't" eat.

While I'm diabetic and so is bil we don't expect her to provide foods we can eat when she hosts the barbecue or dinner, we find out the menu ahead of time and plan accordingly so that we can have foods that we can eat. We don't expect her to not serve foods jut because we can't eat them...

I know it probably sounds bad, but I don't feel that her being on a diet equals "special dietary needs.". And I don't think her being on a diet should mean I have to take food off the menu.

Plus, she's ALWAYS on a diet. She goes on a diet multiple times each month.

So what does she expect me to do? Not have the pizza? Cut out cake and ice cream? And anything else that *might* be too tempting for her?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LyTe684
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM
I'd just tell her to grow up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:54 AM
OMG I couldn't even finish reading. Just tell her to stay the F at home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:55 AM
I just don't understand. Does she think I didn't find her turtle cheesecake tempting?? Of course I did! But I didn't eat it, and brought my own that I could eat.

Quoting LyTe684: I'd just tell her to grow up.
LyTe684
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Yeah, she's petty. I couldn't deal with it.

Quoting Anonymous: I just don't understand. Does she think I didn't find her turtle cheesecake tempting?? Of course I did! But I didn't eat it, and brought my own that I could eat.

Quoting LyTe684: I'd just tell her to grow up.
Mommie_2_Boys
by Steph on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Tell her to bring a protein shake and eat some fruit and veggies ..
alc4evermom
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:59 AM
I had gestational diabetes and controlled it with diet. She can survive one party by eating cheese and veggies, trust me. I keep seeing these crazy posts about people beig so rude about what people are serving at their parties. It's not her party!
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:59 AM

She needs to learn to take responsibility for her own food choices instead of putting that off on others. I would tell her as much too. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:00 PM
I know..... I'm not going to not have dds favorite things just to please sil...there's plenty of things dd and dh love that I can't eat.. But I don't stop them from eating it..

Quoting alc4evermom: I had gestational diabetes and controlled it with diet. She can survive one party by eating cheese and veggies, trust me. I keep seeing these crazy posts about people beig so rude about what people are serving at their parties. It's not her party!
PhoenixsMommy10
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:02 PM
4 moms liked this
I want to know more about this cauliflower crust pizza. Sounds interesting.
mewebb82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM

If she can't control herself that's her problem. A lot of people have dietary restrictions and they learn to cope. It's ridiculous that she chooses her own dietary restrictions (rather than those who do so out of medical necessity) and then expects to be catered to. I chose to be vegetarian and I don't expect to be catered to. I either eat beforehand or I stick to veggie/fruit trays. I'm sure she can do the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)