Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids fighting over Legos. WWYD?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:26 PM
  • 31 Replies

My oldest boys are 6 and 8. They are both into Legos right now. They save up their allowance money and every once in a while they'll each get a new Lego set. Usually Lego Star Wars or Lego City. And anyone who has a kid that likes Legos knows they are NOT cheap. We have a lot of money invested in Legos. lol.

So anyway... my 8 year old decided that he was tired of his Legos and he wanted to GIVE all his Legos to 6 y/o ds. I said "I don't think you should do that. You're gonna change your mind later and it'll be too late." He said he was NOT going to change his mind. He was tired of Legos. The end. So he gave them to his brother. But I told 6 y/o ds "Don't get too attached... I have a feeling he'll want them back later."

And I was right. The next day he wanted them back. So 6 y/o ds was ticked off but he gave them back. I told 8 y/o ds "This is the LAST time. If you give them away again, you're not getting them back. You can't give something to someone and then just take it back."

Then last night they went and spent the night at my mom's house and 8 y/o ds decided (again) that he was done with Legos and GAVE them all to his brother. Then just now he tried to take them back and I told him no.

I kind of feel bad because he spent a lot of his allowance money buying his Legos (not all, some were birthday/Christmas presents) and he really does like them. But on the other hand, I feel bad for 6 y/o ds because he was GIVEN the Legos and then 8 y/o ds takes them back and 6 y/o ds gets upset.

WWYD?

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2five87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:28 PM

BUMP!

tisha826
by Tisha on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Don't feel bad, he was warned, now he gets to learn a valuable lesson. No money was wasted because they're still going to good use. Maybe brother will be nice and let him play with his legos every now and then.
Lydlou02
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:29 PM
3 moms liked this
Legos are communal property in our home. If someone keeps a set nice and together it can be"theirs," but when I find pieces lying around they get mixed into the bucket and become everyone's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LokisLover
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:29 PM
3 moms liked this

You told him if he did it again that was it. So that's it.

6 y/o is now the owner of 8 y/o's old legos

8 year old wants legos? Better start saving that allowance money.

sugareemommee
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:30 PM
I'd say we share everything. Boom. Their both boys'.
Mom2five87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Well we've never done it like that. They each have different taste and pick out their own sets. So they keep them in their own Lego cases and know which ones are THEIRS. But that might be a good idea from here on out.

Quoting Lydlou02: Legos are communal property in our home. If someone keeps a set nice and together it can be"theirs," but when I find pieces lying around they get mixed into the bucket and become everyone's.

Xat
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Same here.

Quoting Lydlou02: Legos are communal property in our home. If someone keeps a set nice and together it can be"theirs," but when I find pieces lying around they get mixed into the bucket and become everyone's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Well, my kids don't have his and her legos. ALL of the legos in this house, whether they were gifts to DD or DS, are in one huge lego bin. When they want to play with Legos, they play with the legos. If they fight, the Lego bins are put into the garage and no one plays with them.

chassity
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I understand what you mean about feeling bad, but he was warned!  You can certainly tell him that he can't have them back because you told him so, but if you absolutely can't handle it and want to try to have 6yo give 8yo the legos back then maybe tell him he cannot give them to 6yo anymore and that if he doesn't want them then you will take them and put them away in case he changes his mind!  I know with my daughter I tend to give in after so long because I just don't want to deal with the drama if it's over something small!  :P

Lydlou02
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:35 PM
It probably helped us that most of the original legos were DH's. IDK if my way will work in your home so much. Maybe big brother can ask nicely to play with little brother's legos. since he did give them away after being warned.

Quoting Mom2five87:

Well we've never done it like that. They each have different taste and pick out their own sets. So they keep them in their own Lego cases and know which ones are THEIRS. But that might be a good idea from here on out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)