Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For all you health conscious moms (eta)

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM
  • 45 Replies
Posting here since I know a lot of you are very into nutrition. My son is 14 months and just about weaned. I've been trying to make sure he gets good food and asking for suggestions. The problem is my dh and in laws keep suggesting things like frozen fish sticks and chicken nuggets. :/ I'm not opposed to processed food in general, but that crap is awful. Same with hot dogs. We are on a low budget, but surely there's a middle ground here. Oh, I should mention he doesn't have teeth in the back yet. There are still a few textures he can't chew. Help?

Eta: I should have been more clear. He eats what we eat for dinner. I'm more concerned about during the day. He still gets hungry every 2-3 hours so I don't always eat with him. Baking chicken or something didn't seem practical for the situation.
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:27 PM
How about cooking him actual pieces of chicken or fish?
LiesLiesLies
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Yes...I think actually cooking for him is a good idea.

Quoting Anonymous: How about cooking him actual pieces of chicken or fish?
myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM
We do for dinner. I'm wondering more about during the day. He eats every 2-3 hours, so I'm not always eating with him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:29 PM

What do you eat?  We never made special foods for our kids - at that age they weren't eating steak, but they were eating lots of fruits, veggies, little pieces of meat, they were in love with pasta.  We aren't opposed to chicken nuggets either, but that's a treat, not routine meal, and my kids are great eaters because of that.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM

cook extra chicken that can be chilled in fridge for other meals.   cheese sticks are a good grazing meal item.  Cut up some fruit.   Graham crackers.   He does not need a full meal every time he eats.  Real oatmeal is good for this age.

vegana
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM
I'm a vegan so i can only help you with vegan yet omnivore friendly ideas.
Lots of beans, pastas, potatoes, rice, fruits in season, veggies in season, peanut butter, cereal, coconut or soy milk you can buy the case at Costco it will last longer not crazy about almonds. the list goes on.
happykitty316
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Yogurt, cheese, crackers, cereal/oatmeal, fruits & veggies.  My kids ate a lot of toast with peanut butter and PBJ.  I often made pasta dishes for lunch since they're easy - homemade mac & cheese, mini pasta with mixed veggies & butter, pasta with sauce, pasta with alfredo.  One of my son's favorite things was pasta, pesto & tuna.  

Quoting myempyreofdirt: We do for dinner. I'm wondering more about during the day. He eats every 2-3 hours, so I'm not always eating with him.

myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:38 PM
I don't do special meals for him, but he eats more often than I do. Plus he's getting tired of his usual. I'd like to mix it up because he's a good eater too and I want to encourage that.

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you eat?  We never made special foods for our kids - at that age they weren't eating steak, but they were eating lots of fruits, veggies, little pieces of meat, they were in love with pasta.  We aren't opposed to chicken nuggets either, but that's a treat, not routine meal, and my kids are great eaters because of that.

Siah616
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Yes bake chicken and fish. My son is a huge fan of veggies so i steam veggies for every meal, even breakfast! He is not your typical toddler lol. He LOVES pasta so I get veggie pastas or whole grain, i never buy any white flour products. Its not really that expensive but then again I coupon for a lot of our groceries.
Elyssa414
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM
I would keep a plate of fresh fruits in the fridge for him to snack on. Soup and bread is always healthy and filling, or eggs with chopped veggies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)