Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you go to the neighborhood er (not hospital, its a satellite only er) or an urgent care?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:51 PM
  • 8 Replies
You know when you see a bright flash of light and for a few moments you can't see because all you see is the bright light? Well I didn't do anything that should cause that but I've had that bright light for 20 minutes already.

I can't see very well and since its Sunday I can't get into an eye doctor so should I go to the neighborhood er or an urgent care clinic?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LyndaLoo78
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM
You should go to the hospital affiliated ER immediately. Visual disturbances can indicate neurological problems.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:55 PM

ER they will call in an ENT to see you ! Good luck

Ivsleep
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Do you get migraines?  I get classic migraines with scotomas in my eyes which look like a bright light with zig-zags.  Usually lasts about 20 to 30 minutes and then goes away and then is followed by a nasty headache.  Some people get the scotomas only with no headache, also known as an ocular migraine.

Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM
No I've never had a migraine.

Quoting Ivsleep:

Do you get migraines?  I get classic migraines with scotomas in my eyes which look like a bright light with zig-zags.  Usually lasts about 20 to 30 minutes and then goes away and then is followed by a nasty headache.  Some people get the scotomas only with no headache, also known as an ocular migraine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephanieDpls3
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Er
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ivsleep
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM

They will not call an ENT doctor in to see you.  If they have concerns of something neurological, you most likely will get a CT scan.  They would call an ophthalmologist in a true ocular emergency, such as a retinal detachment, which can cause sudden flashes of light, but that usually happens in elderly patients, or diabetics.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Quoting Ivsleep:

They will not call an ENT doctor in to see you.  If they have concerns of something neurological, you most likely will get a CT scan.  They would call an ophthalmologist in a true ocular emergency, such as a retinal detachment, which can cause sudden flashes of light, but that usually happens in elderly patients, or diabetics.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Maybe where you are but here in Boston they would call an ENT. They did for my brother in law. He had retinal deteachment.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

Ivsleep
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I'm not trying to be bitchy, but an ENT is an ear, nose, and throat doctor.  They do not treat retinal detachments anywhere in the country, that is not their specialty.  I hope he turned out ok, and I hope op's symptoms resolved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)