Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you know how to pump gas/write checks/pay bills?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM
  • 445 Replies
1 mom liked this

The post on gas-pumping got me thinking about an acquaintance of mine.

She's married, her DH is a minister, and I think they have 4 children.

She does not know how to pump her own gas. She doesn't know how to write checks. And she's never paid the bills. Her DH takes care of all those things.

When my friends and I discovered this, there was a collective gasp and a chorus of "Oh, you NEED to learn how to do that. What if, God forbid, something should happen to your DH?"

It was like the thought had never entered her mind! I couldn't wrap my head around that.

The week after DH and I were married, he sat down with me and we went over finances, at which point he said, "This is your job now. If I deploy, you're in control and you know what to do." So I've been doing it for almost 20 yrs now.

But then it occurred to me that for people in traditional gender role marriages or submissive (religious or otherwise) marriages, this might be normal.

So - how does it work in your house?

Assuming your finances are combined - and I realize a lot of people keep theirs separate - do you know how to keep the household running on your own? Bills, gas, basic maintenance, etc.

Just curious!

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:54 PM
3 moms liked this

yes i had to teach dh how to write a check.

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes, I know how to do all that. I lived on my own before I got married.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Yes, I can. I dont like to !  Some places dont have where you pump your own. My sons GF is in Jersey she has never pumped gas. They dont have self serve stations there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:54 PM
I have lived on my own for nearly 20 yrs... even the time I was married, I handled all the bills since he moved in with me
DoofusAloofus
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:55 PM
5 moms liked this

Yeah. I just think that is ridiculous and pathetic.

Jennifer_236
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Yes. Well its just me and my kids, So I am the only one that does it

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:55 PM
DH does it, were military too. I know all the passwords and security questions and all the bills are in one place. Almost everything is set up to pay automatically through our credit union. So, I don't regularly do it, but I CAN do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:55 PM
I know how to pump gas but won't do it. I write checks and pay bills all the time.
marilyn623
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Yes I do. I've known for a long time. I used to have to handle all that sort of stuff for my mom
Tuned.Out
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Umm yeah. I'm (soon to be) 50 years old. I wouldn't have made it very far in the world if I didn't know how to handle the very basics of running your own life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)