Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let me see a pic of your larger breed, protection/companion dogs!!!

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM
  • 108 Replies

Tall order, eh?

We lost our Luke (GSD) a couple months ago. While it's still too soon for us to get another dog (it was sudden and he was young, so we're all still pretty upset about it), we'll need/want to get one in the next year. The dog will, as Luke did, serve a dual purpose - protection and companionship. My husband travels for business, and I enjoyed the extra security having a GSD gave us, and our children adored him as a companion; most of the time that is what he served as - a pillow, a jungle gym, and a cuddle bug. I don't think I can handle (emotionally) another GSD. Our Luke was beautiful and I can't help but feel like another GSD would be replacing him. Add to that, we didn't realize the host of medical issues they can have. His breeder was very reputable, but Luke ended up with several freak genetic problems - our vet classified him as "chronically ill", although none of his litter mates had any issues.

We would like a dog with strong protection instincts, but with a stable temperament; cautious with strangers, great with children and family. The personal trainer we used with Luke would be immediately hired to work with the new pup, so socialization and training aren't a problem. A dog not pre-disposed to many health issues would be preferable, although we're fine with the standard bone and joint problems that come naturally with age for most large breeds.

We aren't interested in rescuing, so please do not suggest it (of course I can't stop you from suggesting it, but it would be a waste of your time). We have not had good luck in the past with rescues (they seem so desparate to rehome their dogs, that they lie and then we end up with dogs who aren't good fits for the family, often aggressive or not preferable for suburban living, etc).

I'd love to see pics of your larger breeds, and what you love about them, pros, cons, etc.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dinimon
by NoName on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Mobile Photo

The bigger one is xena, she's a mutt. Something mastiff and a smaller breed. She's super protective and was very easy to train. The smaller one is odin. He was 6ish weeks in this pic. He's 11 weeks old now and almost as big as xena. He will be huge. He's a great Pyrenees, catahoula (sp?) Mix. Hes more of an outside
dog and he needs a firm hand in training.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM

here is a photo of my boy great dane. I have two a girl and a boy (but only photos of my boy on my computer) I love the breed and their temperment!

StephanieDpls3
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM
I had an American Bulldog. Best dog in the world. He was protective and such a lover of a pup. Amazing breed! He passed 4 years ago and I still miss him everyday :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I do love Great Danes! The only predisposed health issues are bone and joint (and bloat) related, right?

Are they used as protection, ever?

Quoting Anonymous:

here is a photo of my boy great dane. I have two a girl and a boy (but only photos of my boy on my computer) I love the breed and their temperment!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM

We are looking into an Italian mastiff (Cane Corso?). They seem fantastic.

Quoting Dinimon:

Mobile Photo

The bigger one is xena, she's a mutt. Something mastiff and a smaller breed. She's super protective and was very easy to train. The smaller one is odin. He was 6ish weeks in this pic. He's 11 weeks old now and almost as big as xena. He will be huge. He's a great Pyrenees, catahoula (sp?) Mix. Hes more of an outside dog and he needs a firm hand in training.

Foolynroo2
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Sorry to hear about luke.
look into anatolian shepherd. Our nico is a mix of one and while he is a very hard headed dog, his protection insticts and verocity is without question exceptional, yet he is a VERY obidient - not just because he's trained but because it's part of his make up to listen - im sure with a GSD you know what i mean.

And he is the most gentle loyal loving dog - much more easy going than even my precious Echo.

drowningmama
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I love my berner.  Hes so sweet and friendly.  Such a calm demeanor.  He a huge lovable teddy bear.  Only thing that I hate is how he lays on you because he is huge a weighs 135lbs!

Decemberlov
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

this is our 75lb pitbull. she's an absolute sweetheart but shhhh dont tell anyone lol

my daughter decided to put a party outfit on her for my daughter's birthday party :)
Dinimon
by NoName on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I forgot what xena is exactly but if memory serves right, she's mastiff american bull dog mix. I'm not sure though. She's a truly amazing dog though. Very protective and extremely easy to train. She's my baby. The kids can ride on her, though I try to avoid that, lol. I can use her as a pillow.. but still so protective .

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We are looking into an Italian mastiff (Cane Corso?). They seem fantastic.

Quoting Dinimon:

Mobile Photo

The bigger one is xena, she's a mutt. Something mastiff and a smaller breed. She's super protective and was very easy to train. The smaller one is odin. He was 6ish weeks in this pic. He's 11 weeks old now and almost as big as xena. He will be huge. He's a great Pyrenees, catahoula (sp?) Mix. Hes more of an outside
dog and he needs a firm hand in training.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Yes, but if you get a good breeder you should never have any issues with bone and joint. If you are worried about bloat there is always stomach tacking. they are very protective of their people! they are pretty amazing dogs! They are usually used as service dogs...but mine are "lap dogs" lol!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I do love Great Danes! The only predisposed health issues are bone and joint (and bloat) related, right?

Are they used as protection, ever?

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)