Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
I'd it typical of them to want to sit are stare at the television a lot when not medicated? My step son can't walk through a room where the tv is on without becoming completely entranced, even if it's only a commercial. He doesn't take his adderral (sp?) When he's here on weekends because his mom says he needs breaks from it. I keep encouraging him back to whatever it was he was doing before he caught sight of the tv, like playing or cleaning or whatever but maybe he can't help it?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Turn off the electronics.

Most adhd need sensory.input so if a tv is on, they will be drawn to it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM
I see this in one of the students I work with. He gets in a trance if he walks in front of a tv computer or iPad. He's not medicated at all
crazymomof281
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM
How old is he? My kids have never done that?
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:55 PM

My younger brother will space out and focus on anything that is moving and making noise at that moment. Not just the TV. 

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Yup. One of the best thing you can do for adhd kids is unplug
MicheleJM
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Lol yes.  They get distracted easily.  And I don't buy the "they can't help it".  That kind of thinking these kids will take advantage of you. Next thing you'll hear is "Well I have ADD"--yeah right dude whatever.  I turn it off or get down to his level, get in his face, and say ds...go do what you're supposed and NOW.

almburr
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:02 PM
Yes I agree. But there are many that think it helps them focus. So they get the iPad, phones and stick it on front of their faces., keeping them calm. No they are in a zombie state.

Quoting happymommy1105: Yup. One of the best thing you can do for adhd kids is unplug
Kenre
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Yup, but my son rocks or goes right to the TV to be as close as possible to it. He can't stay still while watching it. We don't have the tv on if we can do something else.
alc4evermom
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:04 PM
Television operates on a very low frequency which causes the hypnotic response.
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
It actually does the opposite of calming them. It actually makes the adhd worse because it teaches the brain to have instant gratification instead of to practice patience.

Quoting almburr: Yes I agree. But there are many that think it helps them focus. So they get the iPad, phones and stick it on front of their faces., keeping them calm. No they are in a zombie state.

Quoting happymommy1105: Yup. One of the best thing you can do for adhd kids is unplug
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)