Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you make them include him?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
My dd is 19 and my niece is 18. They've always been very close, and do "girlfriend" things like lunch, movies, shopping, going out to parties etc. most weekends.

My son is 6 and is really jealous that my dd is going fun places with his cousin. I've tried explaining that they're older and he wouldn't find what they're doing much fun, but he gets very upset. My DH got pissed yesterday when they went to a movie without him and said that going forward, they need to include him. My daughter said he was being "ridiculous" when she got home and they had a big fight.

Any advice? What would you do?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I would not expect my 19 year old daughter to take her 6 year old brother around everywhere.

RTMJDNTARDIS
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:16 PM
2 moms liked this

He is 6. He will get over it that he doesnt get to go out with the big girls.

His time will come on its own.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM

It would be nice if they did special things with him, but the age difference makes it ridiculous for them to do everything with him.

CafeMom Tickers
Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM
While they would probably all have fun doing something with him once in awhile, no, I wouldn't force her to take him. Their age gap is too large to expect them to pal around like that. I'm 20years older than my brother. He's actually a year older than my oldest son. So, when I see him, it's more like having another little boy running around. He's a good kid, but I wouldn't take him on a girl's night out lol!
suzanneyea
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM
3 moms liked this

Why don't you do stuff with your son. Or your husband. It is your kid, not hers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely not. They're adults, doing things adults do, and they don't need to alter their plans to make them fun for a 6 year old.

He'll get over it, and realizing that you don't always get to do everything you want and that some things are for adults are important life lessons for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

That is being ridiculous you cant expect an 18 and 19 year old to take a 6 year old out to do the things they are doing. Now it would not hurt to have them take him to see a movie he would like once in a while but that's something totally different. I would tell my dh that he should take him out himself if it's that big of a deal.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Absolutely NOT. He is to young to be included in anything the girls do together unless they are taking  him to eat or to a playground

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think your husband is being ridiculous.  Would he expect her to take her brother out with her friends who aren't related?  If someone had told me at age 19 that I had to take a 6 year old, I'd just not do anything.

hart57
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:20 PM
No they shouldn't be forced to take him everywhere. Maybe ask them to plan a special afternoon/event for him, maybe doing it once every month. Or you can plan a special event for him he isn't included - like a play date or a movie.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)