Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Infant self rescue swim OPINIONS PLEASE!!

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:05 PM
  • 72 Replies
I really, really want to sign my (almost!) 2 year old for infant self rescue swim lessons. I can add links if requested. It's basically an intense program where toddlers as young as 14 months learn to float on their backs, take a few breaths, flip over and kick towards the shore / stairs / edge / adult and get themselves out of the water. It basically teaches them to swim enough that it can potentially save their life.

We don't have a pool, but have neighbors who do - and we live around a lot of water. Whenever my daughter SEES water, she takes off running and would simply step off the edge of the pool / body of water, regardless if we were yelling, if anyone else was in the pool, nothing. She never got into the pool, mind you, but it's stressful. She can run even faster now, so I'm already thinking about the pools in our area and our friends houses getting uncovered.

The thing is - it's 855 for the registration fee and the 6 weeks of lessons. That's a hard pill to swallow, especially with people saying "you don't need that!" Or "plenty of people learn to swim without spending that kind of money" I know they are right. But I get a knot in my stomach thinking that she only needs to get away from me for a few minutes. It's a worse case, of course. But it happens every summer.

So. Thoughts? 855 worth it or no?

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom-to-2kids
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:06 PM
Both my kids have taken it. And I'm glad they did.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Why not just sign her up for swim lessons at the Y?  It is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:07 PM
The awesomeness blows my mind. Worth every freaking penny, in my opinion.
BaltimoreBaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM
See - and that's what I'm trying to tell my husband. That it's 855 and sure that sucks but once it's done, it's done. Will 855 still hurt us 6 months from now? A year? 5 years? No.

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: Both my kids have taken it. And I'm glad they did.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I've seen videos of kids applying those skills, it's really amazing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:09 PM
And useless. Nothing at all like this class. The y does not teach babies to self rescue. Not by a long shot. The y was a huge waste of time and money, in my opinion.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Why not just sign her up for swim lessons at the Y?  It is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Mom-to-2kids
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Both my kids are strong swimmers, and my dd is barely 2, and can doggy paddle, and float...

Quoting BaltimoreBaby: See - and that's what I'm trying to tell my husband. That it's 855 and sure that sucks but once it's done, it's done. Will 855 still hurt us 6 months from now? A year? 5 years? No.

BaltimoreBaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:10 PM
My mom said that too and it is cheaper. But it's not an intensive teach your child to swim plan. It's more a mommy and me thing. I want quick results. She's plenty comfortable with the water, obviously.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

BaltimoreBaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Did it take the full 6 weeks? Less? More?

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: Both my kids are strong swimmers, and my dd is barely 2, and can doggy paddle, and float...

Quoting BaltimoreBaby: See - and that's what I'm trying to tell my husband. That it's 855 and sure that sucks but once it's done, it's done. Will 855 still hurt us 6 months from now? A year? 5 years? No.

kailu1835
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:12 PM

It is worth it, if you live in an area with water.  We have a pond, and a hot tub that occasionally has the lid come flying off in the wind.  Our older two know how to swim, and we are teaching our youngest now. 

The course you are talking about is NOT fun.  It is intense, it will make you want to cry, and it will terrify your child.  But it is not supposed to be fun, it is supposed to save their life.  I would do it if I didn't have the time to teach it myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)