Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

scrapple how do you cook it

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
My dh family sent us a huge package of dear meat and other things from Pa we can't get in Tx . My mil sent scrapple and I have no clue how to cook it . I'm from the south and we don't eat that
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mary716
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
What the hello is scrapple
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Here in the south, scrapple was called souse meat, made from the hog's head I(my mother used to make it) and was eaten cold like lunchmeat or livermush (made from the hog's liver, cornmeal and spices).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:55 PM
In la we have what's called hog head cheese it's a lunch meat . This looks like a meatloaf type thing she sent me .

Quoting Anonymous:

Here in the south, scrapple was called souse meat, made from the hog's head I(my mother used to make it) and was eaten cold like lunchmeat or livermush (made from the hog's liver, cornmeal and spices).

Melbornj
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:55 PM
Ewww never heard of that.
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Slice it up about 1/4 inch thick & fry it on both sides until crispy. Damn I miss scrapple!!!
momof6nokc
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this
This!

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Slice it up about 1/4 inch thick & fry it on both sides until crispy. Damn I miss scrapple!!!
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Scrapple from up north isn't pre-cooked. It has to be cooked or it will probably make you quite sick.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep- this. Scrapple is damn good. Yummy.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Slice it up about 1/4 inch thick & fry it on both sides until crispy. Damn I miss scrapple!!!
livn4laundry
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Dont eat it cold, blech,  slice it, either way is fine, not too thin or it will fall apart, about 1/4 inch? Lightly flour it on all sides then pan fry it in a little bit of oil until its brown. We like ours nearly crisp. Some people like it with syrup others with ketchup.  Some of the diners here slice it real thick, so after its fried it is still soft and mushy in the center but no one in my house will eat it cooked like that.  

Wy can't you get deer meat in Texas?

I hope you enjoy your scrapple. Now I think I want some scrapple! Good thing I'm in PA where I can get some.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:03 PM

It might be different than what mama made, her's was made with the meat cooked (boiled) off of the hog's head, crushed red pepper, sage, salt, and other spices and a little of the fat to bind it together. Then, she and my husband would just slice it and eat it cold (I never cared for it, although I did try it). They loved it. She used to raise her own hogs, and cured her own hams and sidemeat and made her own sausage. My husband's grandmother did the same thing, and she made her own livermush. (We're in western NC)

Quoting Anonymous: In la we have what's called hog head cheese it's a lunch meat . This looks like a meatloaf type thing she sent me .
Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)