Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feel like I've been robbed...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
My husband & I just moved into a townhome we are renting. When we moved in we saw that there was patio furniture on the patio. I mentioned it to the owner. He said the previous tenant didn't want to trudge through the snow to get it. He had told the owner we could keep it. If we didn't want it he would come get it once the snow melted. We told him we would decide once we could see it uncovered by the snow. We discussed it again later & I told him we would keep it (its nice)! He said the previous tenant was feeling guilty for kind of dropping it on us. I told him again that we wanted it.

So today I come home from work and it's gone! I'm kind of pissed because I thought it was settled. In fact, we gave our old patio furniture to our friends because we had this stuff. My husband says, "it was his anyway." I agree, but then again I don't. IMO, it was now ours. I feel it was inappropriate to come into my back yard and take it when we weren't home.

Am I overreacting?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WindBlownOracle
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM

It was their property, they were within their rights to come and get it.

It will be OK...............

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:46 PM
Bump
csxt99
by Jennifer on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Are you positive it was the old owners who came and got it, or did some third party just take it?

neveragain17
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:49 PM
I would have been annoyed that they came when no one was home.
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Giving away your stuff when you think you have a replacement but don't is a drag. I'm sorry you were done that way =(

JoanahLee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:50 PM

If you did not hear it straight from the owner/previous owner, then there was no deal.  I would not trust a third party to make arrangements like that.  

Its disapointing, but not the end of the world. Don't burn any bridges over it.

TexasGirl90
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:51 PM
I'd Make sure it was the previous owners who got it
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:52 PM

I would have been annoyed they took it without arranging it first.

I lived in a place once that had a goldfish pond in the back, but when the old residents moved out it was iced over (not solid so the fish were ok) so they couldn't take the fish and said they'd call later to come get them (which was fine).  One day I was going about my business and noticed they were in the back yard scooping the fish out, no call, no nothing. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:52 PM
I'm sure it was them because they had called the owner one other time saying "I feel bad for just leaving it. I'm in the area, should I just take it?" The owner told him to ring the doorbell and ask us, but he didn't. That was when I told him we wanted it. The owner said he would tell him we wanted it.

Quoting csxt99:

Are you positive it was the old owners who came and got it, or did some third party just take it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol u never agreed on anything with the real owner, how is it urs already?...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)