Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents who work opposite shifts...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

When do you ever see your spouse? My husband is going on the evening shift at work for the next two weeks (thankfully, minus the weekend). It's just temporary for us, luckily, but I know some people live like this long-term.

Women here tout it as a great way to keep your kids out of daycare, but it seems awful to me. Is family time really so underrated?! I understand that some people have to live like that for financial reasons, but why anyone would willingly choose it is beyond me!!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2014 at 7:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Livv066
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:44 AM
It's tough, but on my days off we spend time together.
keisha613
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:51 AM
We make the most of the little time we have. He leaves for work at noon so we have a few hours in the morning together as a family. Yes, it sucks, but so would paying daycare for 3 kids under 6.
tennis4lissa
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:57 AM

My dh and I do exactly this, we keep a tight budget (most of the time) and are about to pay off our last debt within the next two weeks.  We have been working opposite shifts since we had dd 2 1/2.  both of us only work part time though.  some days when i come home he goes right to bed, other days he will take a nap with dd and then stay up with me for a bit when i get home.  every day is different, but it really helps that neither of us work more than 35 hours in a given week )most of the time) I went down to just 3 days a week during the holidays and stayed that way because we're about to have #2 :)  So that has really helped, and after dd 2, im only going to work weekends.  I knew i didnt want to do it forever, but it was a sacrifice we made together.  Sometimes he will sacrifice a litle sleep to go do something together as a family also.  Have to take the good with the bad sometimes :)

chairhead28
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:05 AM

My ex husband and I did it for a long time. He worked 6-2 and I worked 5-12. He worked FT and I worked PT. We had family time on the weekends. We got to see each other for a few hours before I went to work... it was fine.

I did NOT want my children going into daycare at such a young age..or at all. If that meant taking a little more time away from my ex and I seeing each other, we were willing to make that sacrifice.

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:06 AM
Early morning, weekends & holidays
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:09 AM
We had days off...
mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:12 AM
I don't work but I go to school full time as does my husband and he works nights. It's rare we even see each other during the week. We've schedule classes together and then we see each other on the weekends. He works 2pm to 12:30am mon-thur and most Fridays he works 6am-4:30pm. Even when I wasn't in school it's rare I saw him during the week of he works nights. He never sees our kids during the week. It's something that will never change till he gets a new job which is not going to happen any time soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:13 AM

We did it for about 4 years. I think that its especially fantastic for people who have very young children. Now that our kids are older and in after school sports it would pretty much be impossible with 2 kids going in opposite directions. Thankfully, we had some great family members who were ok with watching the kids, so we would normally get at least one night a month to ourselves. We also had the weekends to have "family time". At that point we really just didn't have a choice. His job required him to work during the day, and I wasn't ready yet to give up my career, which required me to work evenings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN