Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help!! Field mice problem in our house!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 98 Replies
Uuugghh, this is sooo frustrating.......we live in the country and do not have a cat because we are allergic......and so field mice have been finding their way into the WALLS of our house this winter, in the walkout lower level!!! My husband has been setting traps and we have caught a few, but I want to stop them from getting in!! I don't want to put poison down, because I don't want them to die when they are in the actual wall........the smell would be terrible!!! Any suggestions?? I am at the point where I may just call the exterminator since this has been an ongoing problem, but I really didn't want to spend a fortune!!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chelse07
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:03 AM
4 moms liked this
Get some barn cats for outside. Once we got outside cats we stopped seeing them. We also started sweeping every day so there were less crumbs and food for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I just set traps to catch them like you're already doing.. They really like peanut butter. Other than that make sure everything is nice and tidy..
MamaJess9
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Unfortunately there isn't much you can do but keep killing them. You really can't keep them out, they can squeeze into such tiny cracks that you'll never be able to find and close all the places.
PandTsmomjuly
by Florence on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
This. And like someone else said, they really like pb.

Quoting MamaJess9: Unfortunately there isn't much you can do but keep killing them. You really can't keep them out, they can squeeze into such tiny cracks that you'll never be able to find and close all the places.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heidi749
by Canadian on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I have 2 cats, so I do not have this problem, I have a huge farmers feild behind my house... If you can have barn cats, I would do that.... 

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Pretty much this. If you hire an exterminator you'll be out a ton of money and they'll just come back.

Quoting chelse07: Get some barn cats for outside. Once we got outside cats we stopped seeing them. We also started sweeping every day so there were less crumbs and food for them.

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:13 AM
3 moms liked this

get a weasel... 

That solved our rat problem last winter 

(okay, we didnt get a weasel, it moved in on it's own... It took care of the rats, and then our cat killed it... our cat was useless on the rats but took on a fucking weasel... hilarious)

md3mom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I know it sounds strange, but my husband purchased these electronic mice repellants. I think they're supposed to emit an annoying sound that only mice can hear. I didn't think it was going to work, but we haven't seen any evidence of mice since we got the devices. Good luck!
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Biggest reason why we moved from the country. Yuck. I agree with everyone else. You kinda just have to live with it. Be proactive about setting and checking traps every day. Get outside cats and don't over feed them. I had two cats but they were fat lazy f*ckers that would lay on the couch and watch the mice play.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Eeeeww rats!!!!! I can handle some mice but rats freak me out!! Lol.

Quoting anyotherday:

get a weasel... 

That solved our rat problem last winter 

(okay, we didnt get a weasel, it moved in on it's own... It took care of the rats, and then our cat killed it... our cat was useless on the rats but took on a fucking weasel... hilarious)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)