Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think children should have extracurricular activities?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 212 Replies
3 moms liked this

My mother is always giving me a hard time about the activities my kids do. She thinks it's a waste of money. She doesn't understand why the need to do them. My favorite comment was "You should take the money that you are spending on gymnastics and use it for yourself to join a gym." She never let me do anything as a kid and I've always resented it so I make sure that if my kids show an interest in something I let them at least try it out. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylesWifey
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:03 AM
6 moms liked this
If the kids want to then yes!
LectioDivina
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:03 AM
3 moms liked this
Yes, my dd1 is in ballet, dd2 is in art, ds is in tee ball and they all take French
kylenkodysmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:03 AM
7 moms liked this
Yes. As long as they want to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it's better for them to get a love for activities and sport as a kid, that way healthy habits stay with them(hopefully)
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:05 AM
7 moms liked this

Should no that is not the right word.  I do not also think they should be so busy they have no free time or down time.  So the rule in our house is 1 activity per season IF they want too.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:06 AM
No way!! When I was a kid, I cheered, played softball, played the clarinet and spun rifles. So far, DS has played baseball and soccer. Soccer isn't so great, but he's pretty kickass in the baseball department.
kgbm13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes, activities are good but not so many that they are always busy. Activities teach kids lessons.

myempyreofdirt
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this
Sure, if the kids enjoy them. I'll be looking into tumbling/gymnastics, martial arts, and maybe some music when ds is older. He's a bundle of energy and will likely need plenty of things to do.
cdjd23
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this
They need to do at least 1 activity whether it be a sport or club, just something. Growing up I had to be in activity all year round so there were times they overlapped and it caused some massive burnout for me. I don't want to do that but I want my kids involved in something.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)