Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Man raped his infant, and doges jail because he has money.

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM
  • 20 Replies
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5060386

Sorry folks I'm on mobile so I can't make the link clicky. I have copied the article and pasted it below. What do you think of this? .

One Percenter Convicted Of Raping Infant Child Dodges Jail Because He 'Will Not Fare Well'

Ashley AlmanThe Huffington Post03/30/14 10:45 PM ETA

Delaware man convicted of raping his three-year-old daughter only faced probation after a state Superior Court judge ruled he "will not fare well" in prison.In her decision, Judge Jan Jurden suggested Robert H. Richards IV would benefit more from treatment.
Richards, who was charged with fourth-degree rape in 2009, is an unemployed heir living off his trust fund. The light sentence has only became public as the result of a subsequent lawsuit filed by his ex-wife,which charges that he penetrated his daughter with his fingers while masturbating, and subsequently assaulted his son as well.
Richards is the great grandson of du Pont family patriarch Irenee du Pont, a chemical baron.
According to the lawsuit filed by Richards' ex-wife, he admitted to assaulting his infant son in addition to his daughter between 2005 and 2007. Richards was initially indicted on two counts of second-degree child rape, felonies that translate to a 10-year mandatory jail sentence per count. He was released on $60,000 bail while awaiting his charges.
Richards hired one of the state's top law firms and was offered a plea deal of one count of fourth-degree rape charges -- which carries no mandatory minimum prison sentencing. He accepted, and admitted to the assault.
In her sentence, Jurden said he would benefit from participating in a sex offenders rehabilitation program rather than serving prison time.
Delaware Public Defender Brendan J. O'Neill told The News Journal that it was "extremely rare" for an individual to fare well in prison. "Prison is to punish, to segregate the offender from society, and the notion that prison serves people well hasn't proven to be true in most circumstances," he said, adding that the light sentence for the member of the one percent raised questions about “how a person with great wealth may be treated by the system.” (Though perhaps it provides more answers than questions.)
According to the The News Journal, several attorneys claimed treatment over jail time was a deal more typically granted to drug addicts, not sex offenders.Kendall Marlowe, executive director of the National Association for Counsel for Children, told The News Journal that sex offenders are jailed for the safety of the children they threaten."Child protection laws are there to safeguard children, and adults who knowingly harm children should be punished," she said. "Our prisons should be more rehabilitative environments, but the prison system's inadequacies are not a justification for letting a child molester off the hook."
News of the lenient sentence for the confessed rapist comes as a new book, Thomas Piketty's Capitalism In The 21st Century, has put new focus on the distorting role of inheritance in the free market economy.

by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1stpreggers
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Wtf ?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kleotide
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I find it disgusting and sad. Should a person who violates their child receive help. Yes. They need it, something isn't right in their heads. But he can receive that care in prison where he can't harm anyone else. n
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:57 PM
4 moms liked this
He will not fair well in prison?I dont think people are SUPPOSE to be happy in prison.

Let Bubba show him what it's like to be on the other end of a raping.
anon71
by Momma Squirrel on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Ugh.  Makes me want to castrate someone.

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Sick sick sick
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this
No joke. I just read this. Said its believed he also sexually abused his son starting around 18mo. POS deserves whatever he gets in jail

Quoting Anonymous: He will not fair well in prison?I dont think people are SUPPOSE to be happy in prison.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

He would never have been arrested if he did that to my kids/grandkids. His ass would be cut up and thrown all over the tri-state area....smdh

CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:00 PM

On of the many reasons our legal system sucks. You can pretty much do whatever the hell you want as long as you have enough money. Disgusting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Right. Let them tear his cornhole inside out idgaf

Quoting svolkov: No joke. I just read this. Said its believed he also sexually abused his son starting around 18mo. POS deserves whatever he gets in jail

Quoting Anonymous: He will not fair well in prison?I dont think people are SUPPOSE to be happy in prison.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Yep. Natural consequences are generally the best ;)

Quoting Anonymous: Right. Let them tear his cornhole inside out idgaf

Quoting svolkov: No joke. I just read this. Said its believed he also sexually abused his son starting around 18mo. POS deserves whatever he gets in jail

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)