Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone go to a dentist after years of not going?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
I haven't had dental insurance in years. Think 13 years. I know I have mouth issues and now that I have insurance I'm going to go back.

I made an appt but am so nervous that they'll look at me horrible.

If yiu were like me, did the office treat you differently? I'm really nervous about this.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I didn't have insurance in HS or college after my dad was laid off his job. His new one didn't offer dental coverage, so we just didn't go.

After DH and I got married I started going again. They didn't treat me any differently, granted it was a completely different office and area than where I grew up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't feel like I was treated differently but I did mention up front that it had been awhile. I have insurance but can't always afford the copay and deductible. It's more than my medical is. I'd rather take my kids.
TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
You'll be fine. If they treat you poorly go to a different office that will treat you at full professional level
Adrianne122005
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:15 PM
I was treated very badly for not going regularly at my last appointment in 2005. I haven't been since. I have insurance effective tomorrow. I was sexually assaulted as a child so going is really hard for me and being guilted over that will easily make me cry. I'm terrified of going.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:15 PM
I didn't have insurance for 8 years, until I got pregnant and qualified for Medicaid. When I finally got to go to the dentist, I had 6 cavities. They didn't try to make me feel bad about it though. We just talked about "times are hard," and "glad you can finally see a doctor."

Don't be nervous. They've probably seen much worse than you. They have a job to do, it doesn't matter what they think of you anyway.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:16 PM
I am going in an hour actually. My tooth is abscessed. It's been like 6 years since I've had dental insurance. I went like 8 months ago for this tooth and the dentist told me he "fixed" it and that it would "take awhile for the tooth to calm down". Yeah, no. He closed up shop and I was dreading finding yet another dentist. The one I saw before him, wanted to root canal 3 teeth and cap them for $3,000 (which I found out after, he had the wrong X-ray up...)

I am extremely leery of dentists and the last several months have not helped. :(

My tooth now is the only one that is really any trouble. I had a cleaning after the dentist filled my tooth and she said my other teeth were in pretty good shape. I wouldn't worry about how they look at you. They'll be just glad to get your money lol!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I went after about 15 years.  I made the comment that I didn't go because I was embarrassed that it had been so long. The dentist told me she hears that all the time.  They were really nice about it and we came up with a game plan to get my mouth in order.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:16 PM
If you have good enough insurance they will be nice.
aimlee
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:17 PM

i didnt go for 3 years. and was pregnant during that time. I had 7 cavities I was so embarrassed never had one before. The dentist was really nice and I told him I was pregnant etc and also that I hated dentists. He was really down to earth and nice. Not judgmental at all

b0bbied0ll
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I went over like 15 years not seeing a dentist from when I was young and covered by my dad's insurance until i was married and we had our own dental insurance. I never had any issues though so honestly I didnt even realize it had been that long. When I went in they didn't act any different towards me. I was worried something was going to be wrong since it had been so long but nope. Everything was great and no cavities for me... I've still never had one ever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN