Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did I miss something? are we in the wrong?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:23 AM
  • 203 Replies
My best friend and I went to Oregon this weekend to see Jason Mraz and Raining Jane. We both needed sitters for our kids because our SOs were out of the country. So we asked a friend of ours if she wanted to come along with us and watch the kiddos at the hotel while we are at the concert. She said sure. I rented a mini van so we could all ride together. My best friend got A her own hotel room, we paid for all her food, got her at shirt from the concert and a sticker for her daughter.

Anyway, the whole time she was seriously bi polar. One minute she was fine and the next she was snapping at us, being bitchy, and not appreciative of anything. She later told us she felt used, but she knew from the beginning that she was coming to baby sit. :/

We tried to include her in everything, went out of our way and spent a lot of money to make her and her daughter comfortable. And she repays us by having an attitude 90% of the time. It was supposed to be a fun weekend, but by Sunday we were all ready to just home because her attitude was just too much.

Edit to add:
We had a back up. When she started getting am attitude the night before we have her an out, told her we had a back up if she wasn't feeling the trip. She said no, sorry she's being bitchy, that she was excited just stressed about something else.
We have no family here, as we are military. We've always had friends baby sit so sorry if I don't see why that's am issue.
We had other things planned to do with her, one of which was going to a huge outlet mall. She was in such a rush to get home that we weren't able to do that, our anything else we wanted to do with her.
Also, we bought our tickets months ago before we even really hung out with her and the concert was sold out. So even if she did want to go to the concert, she wouldn't have been able to. She doesn't listen to that kind of music anyway.
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:24 AM
Were you also paying her to babysit?
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:26 AM
Yes. $100.

Quoting Anonymous: Were you also paying her to babysit?
WindBlownOracle
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:27 AM
21 moms liked this

Hey you consider her a good enough friend to baby sit, but not to party at the concert with you, I fail to see why she acted upset and used! (wink)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe she thought you'd change your mind or something.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this
We just recently started hanging out with her (we met her through a mutual friend). We bought the tickets before we even knew her.

Quoting WindBlownOracle:

Hey you consider her a good enough friend to baby sit, but not to party at the concert with you, I fail to see why she acted upset and used! (wink)

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:30 AM
Honestly I would have been annoyed you wanted me to babysit but didn't invite me to the show. I have a good friend who sometimes babysits when I go on dates but I'd never say "hey can you watch my kid for a girls night out".
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Well then she shouldn't have agreed to do it if she had a problem. She said she wanted to. We bought the tickets when they first went on sale before we even really knew her.

Quoting quickbooksworm: Honestly I would have been annoyed you wanted me to babysit but didn't invite me to the show. I have a good friend who sometimes babysits when I go on dates but I'd never say "hey can you watch my kid for a girls night out".
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:32 AM
3 moms liked this

It would have hurt my feelings if you had only invited me to babysit and not to the concert instead. You aren't in the wrong, per se, but it seems like she thought you were better friends than you are. Should have paid a professional nanny instead. 

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't trust just anyone to watch my kid. She knows my son, she knows he has bad anxiety and he does really good with her. We could have asked someone else but she said she wanted to go.

Quoting Sparklepants747:

It would have hurt my feelings if you had only invited me to babysit and not to the concert instead. You aren't in the wrong, per se, but it seems like she thought you were better friends than you are. Should have paid a professional nanny instead. 

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:36 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry it turned out the way it did. I guess it's just a crappy lesson for you both. Next time, leave kids with DH or family, or sell the tickets and don't go. 

Quoting lovinmykiddo07: I don't trust just anyone to watch my kid. She knows my son, she knows he has bad anxiety and he does really good with her. We could have asked someone else but she said she wanted to go.
Quoting Sparklepants747:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)