Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O- If You Do Not Take Your Mother's Advice...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 112 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it disrespectful to not do as your mother says when it comes to raising your kids? (I.E., if she says formula is best and you bf, is it disrespectful?)

Options:

Yes. You ungrateful little brat

No. Are you crazy?!

I am that anon, and am probably bitter, no one takes my advice!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 186

View Results

then you do not respect her, and should never ask for it again? I have another anon in a post arguing with me that if your mother's children all survived, you should take her advice over what you want for your child. I am assuming she is a mother who is trying to raise her children's children and her children are not allowing it. But to me, that is the craziest thing I have ever heard. I am alive, but my mom did a lot I do not agree with. She gave us binki-tinis (pacifiers dipped in Nyquil), formula with cereal in it from a very young age (choking hazard and empty calories), ect... I ask her advice on other things, but when it comes to my child's health, I ask their doctor and do research. I think it is lazy parenting to just do whatever and hope you made the right choice. There are so many ways to find answers to questions you have that you do not have to revert to guessing all of the time. You can make decisions that you can be confident in.

So, how do others feel? Is it disrespectful to not take your mother's/mil's advice? What advice did your parents give that you did not take?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WindBlownOracle
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:04 AM

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I think that you can do things the way you want to. You mom had her chance to be a parent and now it's your time. You don't have to parent your kids the way your mom wants you too.

B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:08 AM
7 moms liked this
It's only disrespectful if you are snotty about it. Respect doesn't mean one hundred percent agreement.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:08 AM

That is how I feel as well, but this anon is pretty upset about that.

Quoting ilovemykids323:

I think that you can do things the way you want to. You mom had her chance to be a parent and now it's your time. You don't have to parent your kids the way your mom wants you too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:09 AM
3 moms liked this

Yeah, you should always be polite. Then again, that was your mama's job to teach you that. So.. jkjk.

Quoting B1Bomber: It's only disrespectful if you are snotty about it. Respect doesn't mean one hundred percent agreement.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:10 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't take advice from anyone who thinks it's ok to dip a binkie in NyQuil.
myperfect4inok
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
If I took the advice of my foster mom all my kids would never leave the house and be beat. If I took the advice off ' biological mom I should always put men above my children and leave them with who ever would take them.

Now the person I call mom now I take her advice. But in the end it's my decision and she respects me enough to have the final say.

Just because I survived as a child doesn't mean my parents were good parents. I do what's best for my kids. Not what they think.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:14 AM

You sound like you have this under control :)

Quoting myperfect4inok: If I took the advice of my foster mom all my kids would never leave the house and be beat. If I took the advice off ' biological mom I should always put men above my children and leave them with who ever would take them. Now the person I call mom now I take her advice. But in the end it's my decision and she respects me enough to have the final say. Just because I survived as a child doesn't mean my parents were good parents. I do what's best for my kids. Not what they think.

Kazoo22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:17 AM

She sounds very self-centered.

It could also be possible that's how she was raised. That the grandparents, great-grandparents, etc are included in raising their children's children. Kind of like a tribal-esque matriarchal type thing. 

Quoting Anonymous:

That is how I feel as well, but this anon is pretty upset about that.

Quoting ilovemykids323:

egyptian_mommy
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:20 AM
My parenting is pretty much the exact opposite of my mother's. I don't agree with her methods so I will not take her 'advice'.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)