Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

9-month-old dies day after water rescue =0( *ETA* News report prior to death announcement

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM
  • 53 Replies

9-month-old dies day after water rescue

•  0 18 3 28
Crews rescue 9-month-old girl submerged in pond
ERIC SCHWARTZBERG
West Chester Twp. fire and emergency crews respond to Windy Harbor Way on Monday, March 31, 2014 after the near drowning of a 9-month-old girl in a pond. ERIC SCHWARTZBERG/STAFF
Crews rescue 9-month-old girl submerged in pond

- By Eric Schwartzberg

Staff Writer

WEST CHESTER TWP. -

The Hamilton County Coroner's Office confirmed this morning the 9-month-old rescued from a retention pond Monday afternoon has died.

Details of the death were not immediately available from the coroner's office.

Around 1:55 p.m. Monday, emergency crews were dispatched to the 8400 block of Windy Harbor Way in the Villages of Providence subdivision. The baby's grandmother was pushing the infant in a stroller along a bike path, and walking with a young girl when the stroller somehow rolled down an embankment and into the pond, according to West Chester Twp. officials.

Crews responded to the scene by 2:03 p.m. and found the child still strapped to the stroller 20 minutes later. The stroller was about 6 feet from the edge water and emergency medical crews performed CPR and rescue breathing before taking the child to Cincinnati Children's Liberty Campus.

The child was underwater about 30 minutes before it was located, according to Mike Mays, West Chester Twp. assistant fire chief.

The incident was ruled accidental by West Chester Police Department, according to Barb Wilson, the township's spokeswoman.

by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:38 AM
2 moms liked this

That is so sad. I do wonder why she was underwater for 30mins, like why didnt the grandma go in after her?

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:39 AM
So sad :-(
How traumatizing for the grandma.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Wtf?? DS fell in my parents pool once and jumped the fuck in after him!!
momma2mms
by Kristin on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

So grandma didn't think she should go in after the baby? She let her stay in the water for 30 minues waiting on help? I just don't get it. So sad.

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:39 AM

And why did it take the crews so long to find her?

Quoting thenameshailie:

That is so sad. I do wonder why she was underwater for 30mins, like why didnt the grandma go in after her?

othermom

So sad.

bowribbonmama
Maybe she tried but couldn't get to her?

Quoting thenameshailie:

ChicagoMimi
by Mimi on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Why didn't the grandmother go get the baby out of the water or at least find someone who could? Why did it take 30 minutes? Something's not right with this story

danie24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Horrible, horrible, horrible! UGHHHHHH!!! :(

taramac
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:40 AM
4 moms liked this
That's what I was wondering too. Shit even if I couldn't swim I would still jump in and make every effort to save my grand baby even if I lost my life in the process.

Quoting thenameshailie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)