Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Seriously?? "DONT give him meds!!" (EDIT #2!!!))) (EDIT*****)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My kindergartner is being evaluated for ADHD on Thursday. He struggles greatly at school to be attentive and is extremely impulsive, to the point he has gotten hurt. Just last Friday he took off during recess and fell on some pavement in a roped off area and got a concussion. He cannot sit still, he always needs to be fidgeting or changing postitions. Academically he is showing improvements, but he needs an aide to help him stay on task and to follow instructions, he has an awful time paying attention, etc. He is such a love, very outgoing and happy, has a great time at school, but he struggles both at school and at home with following directions and impulsiveness, and unfortunately its hard on all of us, especially him.

Long story short is, I mentioned casually to my sister that he was going for the eval on Thursday, and her immediate reaction was, "YOU CANNOT GIVE HIM MEDS!!". She went on to say they are bad for kids, they dont help, and that it is sad that parents medicate their kids. She doesnt even have kids.

Wtf? I dont even know for sure if he does have ADHD yet (even though our doctor said she would be amazed if it was negative), and she's freaking out over giving him medications, without even asking what kind of a plan we might even have for him! DH and I have already discussed trying dietary changes and behavioral changes if we can help, and we are not opposed at all to giving him a medication that might help him thrive. The point is we dont want to hold him back by not helping him, kwim? And she all of a sudden is breathing down my neck about it being "bad"...

Grrrrr. Whats your take on ADHD meds? Did you decide to give them? Did you decide against them?

EDIT**** I just wanted to say thank you to all the moms here who had something helpful to say, whether they chose to medicate or not. Its not a decision we face lightly, and we want to be prepared for the eventuality of having to choose what to do.

To the people (few) who had nothing nice to say- well, take your rudeness elsewhere. I need constructive ideas and thoughts to decide how to help my child thrive. Criticizing my parenting when you are a complete inernet stranger does absolutely nothing and is not helpful at all.. (;

Also, a little info I forgot to include in my OP:

DS is seven, he turned 7 in December. He repeated preschool before moving up to prek and was not ready for kindergarten until this year. He has been on an IEP since his second year of preschool. He has received OT and has had a classroom aide since his IEP began and he attends summer sessions as well. He has always received evals that include his inability to attend (that means can not pay attention), impulsiveness, and inability to sit still when appropriate. Without the teachers he has had I dont even want to know where we would be, they have been amazing and have helped him/us tremendously, so this isnt a situation where he has teachers or parents who "just dont want to deal with him".

At this point, with proper evaluation of course, medication is on the table as a possibility. DS is impulsive to the point he has gotten hurt, he gets in trouble on the bus and it has become a safety issue. and we dont want to see him fall further and further behind- the grades will only get more and more challenging. Some people may think a kindergartner is too young for this, but with his age and the consideration of the fact that school will only get more and more challenging, we want to be proactive. We dont want to hold back on doing something that will only help DS be more of the amazing little boy he is.

Hope that all makes sense, sorry this got really long!!!

EDIT #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am completely blown away with all the responses I have gotten about this! Thank you to everyone who has responded, whatever choice you have made or would make about how to treat your child for this. I know its a very personal decision and it is not one we are making lightly. I'm fortunate to have a great pediatrician for our son who is helping us down this road and his eval went very well, considering the fact that DS couldnt even bear to sit still while we were in the Ped's office! Our ped actually has ADD himself, which was a huge plus for our DH to hear. He is not quick to prescribe medication, all though in our case we are ahead of many of the steps he would usually suggest first (like, IEP or 504 plans at school, responsibility charts, etc, to help him through the day, etc etc). I just wanted to say thank you and I am very encouraged to hear how many of your children have truly thrived either because of their ADHD medication or that they have thrived without it as well. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:01 PM
2 moms liked this
They are only zombies on meds if they are over medicated. My son took meds and was still running around playing.

Quoting Anonymous: ADHD meds are horrible and makes the kid seem like a zombie. I wouldn't let them such a young kid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Diet change did nothing for my 11 year old. He has been in behavioral therapy for years. Meds were a last resort and through trial and error, we found out quickly stimulants make him a fucking crazy psycho. He is on non stimulants and he has never ever been a zombie on anything. He is the same kid, just able to actually sit and focus and not cry to me that his brain wouldn't stop "going nonstop so he could think" as he put it. It is heartbreaking watching your kid struggle and tell you he feels stupid because he cannot sit and think straight. The meds help him focus. I hate the "they will make your kid a zombie" speech. That is complete bs, unless you drug your kid to DO just that. My kid is far from a zombie and we would have never kept him on them if they did that. 

suzanneyea
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I would not medicate my children for this issue, personally. I know a lot of people who do. It is their choice.

trish2tew
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:02 PM

None of my kids have been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, but even if they were, I would try "alternative therapies or medications" before I put them on something like ritilan(sp).

Both of my brothers were either ADD or ADHD as children. The medication made them dopy and like zombies. Since then, the youngest has been diagnosed with Asbergers(sp), which is a mild form of autism. The older shows similar symptoms, but has not been diagnosed. My mom tried lots of things before putting them on medication, and some of them worked, but neither of them wanted to keep the lifestyle/diet changes up to stay off the meds.

My kindergartener has some behavior issues, and some of that stems from her speech problems. We have made some dietary changes, and have noticed some difference in her attitude, but it is kind of hard to keep her from eating the class snack or other "questionable" foods at school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Find other parents of adhd children to vent to.I learned this quickly, my husband and I are heavily judged because our twins are on risperdal and intuniv (for adhd and autism related hostility). It was the best thing we ever did.Every one else has an opinion but no one else knows what it is like to have two children this way either.I stopped talking to my mother, mother in law and best friends about the boys' medication.

The intuniv works really well and it is not a stimulant.The stimulants made my one son over emotional and the other just didn't respond.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:03 PM

They will finish up a series of questionairres from us, his teachers, and his regular doctors, and then he will use a special computer program that judges his attentiveness, distractibility, impulsiveness, etc.

Quoting summerlove3677: What kind of test will your child be taken to determine if he has it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
My dh has been on them since fourth grade. I hate them. They have found a link between the add meds and rage issues. They are legalized speed.

There are no long term studies done on the effect of their use on developing brains.

I think people are lazy and don't want to try the harder coping behaviors before medicating.

I will not use them for my kids.
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:03 PM
Look into it they can vadtly improve quality of life for a child who struggles with this type of thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

no, we have not.

Quoting kmorales7690: Have you tried essential oils?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Our son has ADHD and we have decided to wait on meds,  he is 8 right now.  We did diet changes and behavioral therapy and so far it's been enough,  if he needs meds later in life I am not opposed but I want to wait as long as possible.  I would recommend the same to you,  exhaust all other options and use meds as a last resort.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:04 PM

ugh, she doesnt even have kids!!

Quoting Momniscient:

Tell your sister to put google and her silly mommy blogs away and mind her own children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)