Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Seriously?? "DONT give him meds!!" (EDIT #2!!!))) (EDIT*****)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My kindergartner is being evaluated for ADHD on Thursday. He struggles greatly at school to be attentive and is extremely impulsive, to the point he has gotten hurt. Just last Friday he took off during recess and fell on some pavement in a roped off area and got a concussion. He cannot sit still, he always needs to be fidgeting or changing postitions. Academically he is showing improvements, but he needs an aide to help him stay on task and to follow instructions, he has an awful time paying attention, etc. He is such a love, very outgoing and happy, has a great time at school, but he struggles both at school and at home with following directions and impulsiveness, and unfortunately its hard on all of us, especially him.

Long story short is, I mentioned casually to my sister that he was going for the eval on Thursday, and her immediate reaction was, "YOU CANNOT GIVE HIM MEDS!!". She went on to say they are bad for kids, they dont help, and that it is sad that parents medicate their kids. She doesnt even have kids.

Wtf? I dont even know for sure if he does have ADHD yet (even though our doctor said she would be amazed if it was negative), and she's freaking out over giving him medications, without even asking what kind of a plan we might even have for him! DH and I have already discussed trying dietary changes and behavioral changes if we can help, and we are not opposed at all to giving him a medication that might help him thrive. The point is we dont want to hold him back by not helping him, kwim? And she all of a sudden is breathing down my neck about it being "bad"...

Grrrrr. Whats your take on ADHD meds? Did you decide to give them? Did you decide against them?

EDIT**** I just wanted to say thank you to all the moms here who had something helpful to say, whether they chose to medicate or not. Its not a decision we face lightly, and we want to be prepared for the eventuality of having to choose what to do.

To the people (few) who had nothing nice to say- well, take your rudeness elsewhere. I need constructive ideas and thoughts to decide how to help my child thrive. Criticizing my parenting when you are a complete inernet stranger does absolutely nothing and is not helpful at all.. (;

Also, a little info I forgot to include in my OP:

DS is seven, he turned 7 in December. He repeated preschool before moving up to prek and was not ready for kindergarten until this year. He has been on an IEP since his second year of preschool. He has received OT and has had a classroom aide since his IEP began and he attends summer sessions as well. He has always received evals that include his inability to attend (that means can not pay attention), impulsiveness, and inability to sit still when appropriate. Without the teachers he has had I dont even want to know where we would be, they have been amazing and have helped him/us tremendously, so this isnt a situation where he has teachers or parents who "just dont want to deal with him".

At this point, with proper evaluation of course, medication is on the table as a possibility. DS is impulsive to the point he has gotten hurt, he gets in trouble on the bus and it has become a safety issue. and we dont want to see him fall further and further behind- the grades will only get more and more challenging. Some people may think a kindergartner is too young for this, but with his age and the consideration of the fact that school will only get more and more challenging, we want to be proactive. We dont want to hold back on doing something that will only help DS be more of the amazing little boy he is.

Hope that all makes sense, sorry this got really long!!!

EDIT #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am completely blown away with all the responses I have gotten about this! Thank you to everyone who has responded, whatever choice you have made or would make about how to treat your child for this. I know its a very personal decision and it is not one we are making lightly. I'm fortunate to have a great pediatrician for our son who is helping us down this road and his eval went very well, considering the fact that DS couldnt even bear to sit still while we were in the Ped's office! Our ped actually has ADD himself, which was a huge plus for our DH to hear. He is not quick to prescribe medication, all though in our case we are ahead of many of the steps he would usually suggest first (like, IEP or 504 plans at school, responsibility charts, etc, to help him through the day, etc etc). I just wanted to say thank you and I am very encouraged to hear how many of your children have truly thrived either because of their ADHD medication or that they have thrived without it as well. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Replies (41-50):
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Buy and read this book - even without a diagnosis it may offer good advice:
http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Eating-Your-Child-Connection-ebook/dp/B00ANSW8DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396371832&sr=8-1&keywords=cure+your+child+with+food

I would not tell your sister much - it is your decision and some things do work great, some don't... You will have to find what works for your child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Do you have a site we could go read about this?  I'm always looking for new ideas about my ds as well.

Quoting kmorales7690: Look into it they can vadtly improve quality of life for a child who struggles with this type of thing.
Quoting Anonymous:

no, we have not.

Quoting kmorales7690: Have you tried essential oils?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:05 PM
A child who truly has ADHD needs more than a schedule. My nephew is actually the most scheduled kid but when he was hurting his little brother and no punishment worked, when he hit three kids on his first day of school, when he was behind in school because he could not focus, the list could go on and on. My sister has him in counseling as well and the ultimate goal is to wean him off the meds.

Quoting superwoman8977: Don't do meds!!! Get your child on a schedule and be on them like white on rice I will never put my child on meds
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM

thanks, i think our hope is if we try meds, we will know right away if it helps or not, so its nice to know you knew right away!!

Quoting Anonymous:

My DH and I waited almost 5 years before trying meds on our son.  DS has ASD and ADHD.  After 3 years of minimal to no academic progression, we decided to give a low dosage a try.  Our theory was that if we did not like the side effects or didn't see improvement, we would take him off the meds.  The improvement was almost immediate and not only can he focus well, he can tell us what it feels like when he is not on his meds - his brain feels "all jumbled".

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM

lol! That's hilarious.

Classic :)

Quoting Anonymous:

ugh, she doesnt even have kids!!

Quoting Momniscient:

Tell your sister to put google and her silly mommy blogs away and mind her own children.

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I used to work with ADHD and autistic kiddos.  I've seen meds do great things, but I have also seen them turn kids into little zombies.  I finally medicated ds when I had exhausted all other options.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM
I could never put my child on meds. I would never hurt them like that
TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Also your sister needs to back off

kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Peppermint is great for focus, lavender is good for calming, there is one blemd the company I use has called peace and calming that is formulated just for this type of thing it contains tangerine, orange, ylang ylang, patchouli, and blue tansy oils. My mother uses it on test days in her class room with a diffuser.

Quoting Mazie0723: I am curious what oils would possibly help? Im not being snarky I really want to know.

Quoting kmorales7690: Have you tried essential oils?
Sekirei
by LoKitty on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:07 PM
I dont agree wih them. but, its your decision. i am avoiding them with my son i have seen the after effects with my cousin
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)