Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE: I am not sure how my husband is going to react to my news

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM
  • 113 Replies
3 moms liked this

I went for my 6 month gyno checkup yesterday. I am 43 1/2  and he is 49. We have 4 kids our youngest is 16 and our others are 18,21 23.  We are not planning anymore kids. I am on birth control and of course very close to the change of life. So imagine my surprise when the doctor informed me I was pregnant. I told her she was mistaken I am on BC. She said have you forgotten to taken any, started any new medication, been put on antibiotics recently? I said yes about 3 months ago I was given antibiotics for a uti. She said antibiotics can mess with the accuracy of birth control pills and given she thinks i am about 8-10 weeks she would guess that is what happened. I told her I was scared and she said that a lot of woman are having kids older and older in life but that I may need to be monitored a bit closer is all. My husband will be shocked. But of course we will keep this child. Its ours. I just I  cant help but think I will be in my mid 50s before he is out of elementry school. Plus his brothers and sisters are 17-24years older than him/her.....any ideas on how to tell my husband without giving him his first coronary event? Is my doctor correct, are woman having children older and older now? Like my age? Just really nervous right now. I cant believe I am having a baby again.

UPDATE: I told my husband last night after making him his favorite dinner. He was shocked at first but than really excited. We just have to convert a room to a baby room and buy all new baby stuff. Now we have to tell our kiddos ;) After telling him I feel better about the situation.

Sad Update:

Went to doctor because she wanted to do a transvaginal sonogram to see how things were going. There was no heartbeat and the baby had stopped growing at 8 weeks. My HCG levels are dropping. She said its only a matter of time before I pass the baby and fully miscarriage. She said she could do it there or we could just wait for it to happen naturally. I told her i would wait for it to happen. I am sad but I have my children. I guess god did not think it was meant to be. I am content waiting for my grandchildren now.

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poeticrose09
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this
My grandma had my aunt when she was in her mid 40s. My aunt will be 26 this yr. There are 17 years between her and my mom and my mom is the youngest. I love having an aunt close to me in age too its awesome. Congrats to you.
destiny3513
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Congrats. Just tell him, sitting down of course. As long as you are fairly healthy, I'm sure everything will be fine. :) yes, older women have babies too.

harpsichord
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Good luck
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I know a handful of moms that had children in their 40s. Not idea for everyone, but it's completely possible to have a healthy pregnancy. I'm sure they'll just keep an eye on you.

lostpassword
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Gee well now that is a shocker huh? Well... just go about giving him the news real gentley i guess... my kids are 14 yrs apart but it was because i was a teen mom...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Um ok
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Plenty of women are having children in their 40s.  Focus less on your age and more on your health at this point.  Try to eat right.  Talk thoroughly about your risks with your OB.  Write down any fears or thoughts that come to mind so you don't forget them.

I'm 26 and having my third, and it's been quite a ride.  Bed rest, almost lost her, possibly needing a partial hysterectomy after delivery...Even "Spring chickens" can have problems, while older ladies zip on through with barely a hiccup.  No guarantees, no promises, no matter your age.  You just deal with things as they come and that is that.

sprinkle99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM
My mom had my little sister when she was 40..her youngest was 14..It was adjustment but it will all work out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM
You said you have 3 kids, but then you list 4 ages. Lol.
ventura1989
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM
3 moms liked this

good luck it was just meant to be and yes woman are having babies older now days nothing wrong with it as long as you are healthy and take care of yourself, just sit him down and tell him im sure the older kids will be a great help as well

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN