Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you're pro death penalty...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
I used to be very pro capital punishment. If you killed or raped someone, why should you get to keep living? And then I started getting into gray areas... And then I found out how much it cost.

Yes, killing someone, even with the cost of a final meal, is much more economical than life in prison. But no one is executed without the right to appeal. The process of appeals drives up the cost so much that it becomes cheaper to let them live in prison.

And taking the right to appeal away is a VERY slippery slope.

There are a lot of arguments for and against the death penalty. I'm not going to get into that. But if you are for it solely because of the cost, please take the time to look up how much it really costs.

And yes I'm the one from the other post. I'm going anon because I don't want a million amd a half pms.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Everyday they sit knowing they're gonna die makes it worth it to me =)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think most people for it just for the cost. I am pro death penalty in spite of the cost. I just sleep better at night knowing some monsters have left the planet prematurely.

thejodigirl
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:41 AM

I just learned that myself. I wish there was a better solution but given the two options I like the idea of them rotting in jail better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Well then you're not the subject of this message.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think most people for it just for the cost. I am pro death penalty in spite of the cost. I just sleep better at night knowing some monsters have left the planet prematurely.

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:43 AM
DH and I were JUST talking about this.

I think that prison needs to be more of a deterrent (less comfortable) and that death row needs to be more efficient.

Yes, it is unenlightened to believe in the death penalty, but in my mind the right to life was given up the moment you murdered a person cold blood. That person didn't get an appeal, now did they?
AngryBob
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:43 AM
I am for the death penalty. I am aware that the appeal process can take up to eleven years, and it quite costly. I am perfectly fine with that.
I like the idea of knowing, with absolute certainty, that that was the guy who did it. If you can't find evidence of your innocence, or even a loophole in the law, in eleven years, you deserve it.
Now everyone is going to quote me and freak out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Point being I think it's pretty common knowlege that the death penalty costs more. And, I can think of not one person who is pro death penalty for economic reasons anyways...but carry on.

Quoting Anonymous: Well then you're not the subject of this message.
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Oh God, don't even get me started on prisons. Someday I think I'll commit a minor infraction just so I can take a few days off in prison.

Quoting ame85: DH and I were JUST talking about this.

I think that prison needs to be more of a deterrent (less comfortable) and that death row needs to be more efficient.

Yes, it is unenlightened to believe in the death penalty, but in my mind the right to life was given up the moment you murdered a person cold blood. That person didn't get an appeal, now did they?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:52 AM

This absolutely isn't true. The problem with the law is unless you can prove that the the TRIAL wasn't fair even IF you can prove someone did not commit the crime, that doesn't mean that you are going to get the person out. I have researched plenty of cases where after years of prison dna evidence has proved the person was innocent and they still didn't get out, or only did after years of legal manuvering. It's not like they just open the prison doors once they find out you were wrongly convicted.

As a side not my husband's grandpa's father was convicted or murder decades ago. The Innocence Project took on his case. After DNA testing proved he did not commit the crime he still was NOT released. He died in prison from old age...

Quoting AngryBob: I am for the death penalty. I am aware that the appeal process can take up to eleven years, and it quite costly. I am perfectly fine with that. I like the idea of knowing, with absolute certainty, that that was the guy who did it. If you can't find evidence of your innocence, or even a loophole in the law, in eleven years, you deserve it. Now everyone is going to quote me and freak out.

AngryBob
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Then that law, which is utterly ridiculous, needs to be changed. But the basic principle of ridding ourselves of social vermin I firmly stand behind.
I am very sorry about your husband's grandfather. I do not agree with how that transpired.

Quoting Anonymous:

This absolutely isn't true. The problem with the law is unless you can prove that the the TRIAL wasn't fair even IF you can prove someone did not commit the crime, that doesn't mean that you are going to get the person out. I have researched plenty of cases where after years of prison dna evidence has proved the person was innocent and they still didn't get out, or only did after years of legal manuvering. It's not like they just open the prison doors once they find out you were wrongly convicted.

As a side not my husband's grandpa's father was convicted or murder decades ago. The Innocence Project took on his case. After DNA testing proved he did not commit the crime he still was NOT released. He died in prison from old age...

Quoting AngryBob: I am for the death penalty. I am aware that the appeal process can take up to eleven years, and it quite costly. I am perfectly fine with that.
I like the idea of knowing, with absolute certainty, that that was the guy who did it. If you can't find evidence of your innocence, or even a loophole in the law, in eleven years, you deserve it.
Now everyone is going to quote me and freak out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)