Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mothers of children with ADHD

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
How old is your child? At what age were they diagnosed? What course of treatment do you use? If medicated, what is it and have you seen any side effects?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:25 AM

Curious too. I feel that it is overly diagnosed so parents can make excuses instead of parenting, but I know there are kids that DO have it, and the diagnoses can make a world of difference as far as education goes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't see at at all. Parents don't stop parenting with the diagnosis.

My son has adhd and is a great kid and very smart, he is just really distractable and can't focus without meds. He is on adderall. He only takes it on school days.

Quoting Sparklepants747:

Curious too. I feel that it is overly diagnosed so parents can make excuses instead of parenting, but I know there are kids that DO have it, and the diagnoses can make a world of difference as far as education goes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:38 AM
No the school do it. The school told me my ds was adhd. However when we pulled him. We have never had an issue. I am able to handle him. When they cant handle a kid they start all these labels. When some kids just do not fit into a traditional school. And crazy because those labels can ruin the kid life.

Quoting Sparklepants747:

jjames1990
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:39 AM
Daughter diagnosed at 4. Medication at 7, forced by school. Hated the effect. At 8 told them to kiss my ass. Started behavioral modification classes. By age 12 she was doing very well. By high school she was able tk control herself without notes, verbal reminders. She struggled a bit through college sometimes. Now, at age 24, just had a baby, she is reverting back to notes and lists, hard core schedules because she knows she has to keep focused.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:40 AM
I would never give my kid meds for one setting. Look into other options. True adhd children have it everywhere. Not just in school!!!

Quoting Anonymous: I don't see at at all. Parents don't stop parenting with the diagnosis.

My son has adhd and is a great kid and very smart, he is just really distractable and can't focus without meds. He is on adderall. He only takes it on school days.

Quoting Sparklepants747:

MamaCeleste0722
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:41 AM
My daughter has ADHD. She has a genetic disorder where it is very common to have ADHD, so she was being monitored by a neuropsychologist. She was started on meds in 1st grade as well as behavior modifications . She is now in the 5th grade and has done FANTASTIC! So proud of her. No negative side effects
beeky
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:41 AM

My dd was diagnosed at 5 and she is 17 now.  I was diagnosed at 7 and I'm 50 now.   Neither of us takes meds.  We've learnt to deal with it on our own.

Annellyse
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:44 AM

He starting getting tested in Kinder.  The doctor thought at first it was ODD with ADHD.  After a while, they ruled out the ODD and was officially diagnosed with ADHD in first grade.  It was towards the end of first grade, he started Concerta.  There was no difference so at the beginning of second grade, he started Adderall.  He still has some problems, but over all the Adderall has helped a lot.  The only side effect is his not having much of an appetite.  He does not take the medicine when he's not in school, though.

PandTsmomjuly
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:49 AM
DS was unofficially dx at 4, officially at 5. I medicated for a few months and he was a whole new kid. His dad took him off meds. No behavior modification helps, no diet change. It's been a rough journey. He'll be 7 in July.

He also has ODD.

I used to be one of those people that blamed it all on bad parenting. Boy was I wrong -_- He's the only one of mine with issues so it can't be my parenting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:50 AM
My son was diagnosed at 5( early this year). I tried everything I could before I put him on meds. Changed his diet, different techniques for behavior. Once we started meds I have seen a complete 180 with him. He will actually sit down and write his name and other things. The agressive and impulsive behavior has stopped. He is on a non narcotic type. He still have his amazing personality which it one thing I told the doc that if he lost he would be taken off meds. He can actually sit down and carry on a conversation as before he couldn't sit still for 2 seconds. It amazes me how truly smart he is now that he can focus at school
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)