Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

black mulch

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:29 AM
  • 7 Replies
Anyone have black mulch at their house? The kind that flings very sticky spores that are impossible to remove from any surface? We do, and we want to replace it after powerwashing everything.

Has anyone else gone through this? Any tips? I've looked online, but I haven't found many personal stories or tips. Or even what to replace it with.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:32 AM

No I dont like it . We have the reddish color mulch.

LilysMama719
by Emmy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:40 AM
No. I was told to only use cedar or one other kind that I can't think of off the top of my head. When we moved into this house, there was already mulch here that we removed. It was disgusting. The mulch was absolutely infested with bugs. I still get antsy thinking about it.
SlightlyPerfect
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:41 AM
That red wouldn't look good outside our house. I'm actually considering rock.

My dad swears he's heard of home insurance paying to have this stuff removed for health reasons. I have no idea why the people who lived here before put this black, spore-tossing shit in here.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

No I dont like it . We have the reddish color mulch.

SlightlyPerfect
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:43 AM
OMG!

Yeah. DH and I want to rip all this shit up and replant. This winter was harsh, and we lost a few plants anyway. I want tulips. Maybe I'll google what tulips grow best in. Watch it say black mulch...

Quoting LilysMama719: No. I was told to only use cedar or one other kind that I can't think of off the top of my head. When we moved into this house, there was already mulch here that we removed. It was disgusting. The mulch was absolutely infested with bugs. I still get antsy thinking about it.
berlgirl1224
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:44 AM
I have black mulch but no problems. We just put it in last spring
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:46 AM
I don't think the mulch will make a difference. Around here, tulips are pretty hardy. I had never heard of the black mulch throwing spores before. I hope you can remove it safely.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect: OMG!

Yeah. DH and I want to rip all this shit up and replant. This winter was harsh, and we lost a few plants anyway. I want tulips. Maybe I'll google what tulips grow best in. Watch it say black mulch...

Quoting LilysMama719: No. I was told to only use cedar or one other kind that I can't think of off the top of my head. When we moved into this house, there was already mulch here that we removed. It was disgusting. The mulch was absolutely infested with bugs. I still get antsy thinking about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:46 AM
What about a natural colorrd mulch?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)