• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I be offended by this...(SN related so if you're going to bash, just don't even open)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies

So my son has Autism and goes to a special developmental preschool.  This organization offers all kinds of services, therapy, ABA, developmental preschool, regular preschool, head start, and child care.  Yesterday, in honor of Autism Awareness, they had a balloon launch.  They scheduled the launch for 2 yesterday.  DS attends preschool in the morning so we came back when it was time for the balloon launch.  They brought out classes from the school for the launch.  The only problem, they didn't bring out the SN class.  They didn't bright out a single Autistic kid from the program at all.  DS and 2 other kids from his class that their parents brought back for the event were the only kids I know of that were in the SN program.  I even heard one of the child care teacher say it would have been a disaster if they had brought out all the SN kids.  I mean really, an event to celebrate SN and you don't bring out the SN kids.  They had banners all about autism awareness and took pictures for the paper.  Part of me wants to just blow it off, it's not a big deal, but another part of me is really pissed.  You want to celebrate a special need without any of SN kids?....

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadowcat76
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:13 AM

That makes no sense.

julie515
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:13 AM
I would have spoken up.
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Id be mad too. Who cares if it would have been a mess.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, that makes perfect sense. 0.o
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I would speak up. That's not right at all. That's just me though. I'm Out spoken.
livric
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a SN kid and that has pissed me right off.
angelachristine
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:16 AM
3 moms liked this
Honestly I'd probably contact the newspaper that took the photos. It's discusting they are trying to make themselves out to be something they are not.
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:17 AM
2 moms liked this
I suppose it's technically odd to celebrate a certain group and then not bring them out for the fanfare, but what's the REALITY here? Would it have caused any upset or overstimulation amongst them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:17 AM
5 moms liked this

A balloon launch? Really? I can't believe that a school would still be this ignorant. Where do think all those balloons are going to go when the hellium is gone? That is so bad for the environment and animals!

corasmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Was it a safety issue? I agree it wasn't right but maybe they were concerned? You should say something, I would.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)