• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PTSD cure

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM
  • 18 Replies
What if they had a cure for PTSD and they were able to erase the traumatic memories from peoples brains. For example when soldiers came home from war they were given a serum to erase their memories. What do you think?
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this
What about good memories? Do they go away, too?
anon71
by Momma Squirrel on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM
No
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that it would be a double edge sword. My husband is a PTSD vet. I would rather seal with the PTSD than him lose all the memories of he and I or our children. It may be selfish on my part, but idc.
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM
I would love to have my bad past erased.
dtristan78
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
My DH has PTSD, he would never want this. During his time in Afghanistan is when he became so close to his brothers in arms. He grew as person, even though he struggles to this day.
I think mandatory counseling for ALL military would be better. Most military personal get criticized and made of if they try to get help. Taking the stigma away from any mental disorder is what's important, not erasing it.
auntyag
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM
No
dtristan78
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM
I agree 100% and my DH would too.

Quoting Ninjascreenname: I think that it would be a double edge sword. My husband is a PTSD vet. I would rather seal with the PTSD than him lose all the memories of he and I or our children. It may be selfish on my part, but idc.
AnHpuresugar
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I love the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
shiny76
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I have PTSD from a very tramtic event when i was little, I've struggled with flashbacks and issues my whole life from it but i wouldn't erase it either because at the end of the day it made me the strong woman i am now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:17 AM

There has been a fair amount of success treating PTSD with MDMA ("ecstasy.")  The state of mind produced by the drug allows people to explore their traumatic memories while feeling safe and loved.  This allows them to come to terms with what happened.

I've seen it work in non-clinical settings as well.  I hope the stigmas attached to the drug can be overcome and more people who are suffering will have this treatment choice available.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)