Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think family can break up a relationship?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I absolutely think it will after a while. My SO doesn't think so. In our case, his mom hates me. She has said some really horrible things about me, right in front of me and one of my kids. Because of this, I do not like going any where near her and only talk to her when absolutely necessary. We are both polite to each other but not friendly what so ever. SO and I have had a great relationship but I really think him feeling like he has to pick sides or defend one or the other will be the death of us. I would be fine just staying away but he wants me to act like nothing happened and go along on outings, be friendly, etc like before. I just can't do it. I really think this is the beginning of the end for us.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM
It definitely can. My problem would be if my husband didn't stand up for me and take my side. I don't think I could live with someone who didn't have my back in EVERY situation.
Heisenberg
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM
3 moms liked this

They can't. It's not your MIL that's the problem it's your SO. He either defends you or he doesn't. He needs to set boundaries or it will always happen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I absolutely think it will.  

sauceda
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM
But if u have kids together he and she will still have to deal with you if it doesn't work, when r n you talk to him about it try saying things like (I feel) and stay away from blaming her it won't help

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Sure, if you have kids together you're always going to have some sort of relationship.  However, there are families who struggle to make their relationships work who have some family support, but if his mother doesn't like you, things get real ugly real fast.  Particularly if he's not willing to stand up and say this behavior isn't okay.  I don't have any answers, I just think it can be a big problem.  

Quoting sauceda: But if u have kids together he and she will still have to deal with you if it doesn't work, when r n you talk to him about it try saying things like (I feel) and stay away from blaming her it won't help
Quoting Anonymous:

shiny76
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM

one of the many reasons me and my ex husband got divorced..he wanted me to be just like his mom...my reply "If you wanted to screw your mom you shouldn't  of married me."....in the end it didn't work out. I have a few issues with my current MIL but i put it aside for my hubby, we've had a couple of debates about her but over all we just let it flow.

IfTheTiaraFits
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Anything can break up a relationship if you let it. The trick is for both partners to be "in it to win it" so to speak. You guys simply can't allow outside forces to cause internal strife!
Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Its not the families that break up relationships, its his responses to family pressure that break up relationships. A man who won't defend his wife breaks up relationships.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)