Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gave my husband an ultimatum

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
He seeks help for being an alcoholic or I am done. Hardest thing I have had to do. Now I wait and see what his choice will be. I have been with this man 20 years. He is pissed at me.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shiny76
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM

stand your ground and keep to your choice it's the right one

Mackenzie40
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Twenty years with an active alcoholic ?
HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I you haven't already, try an Al Anon meeting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM
He hasnt always been an alcoholic. Over the past 7 years he has been on a downward spiral. He has promised to quit several timea but cant. I told him to seek outside help.

Quoting Mackenzie40: Twenty years with an active alcoholic ?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM
That may just what he needs to take that step. My dh had nearly lose it all before he realized he had a problem.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Good for you! There is no way I could be with someone who was an alcoholic! Thankfully, my DH has never once had an alcoholic beverage in his whole life! (Anyone who reads this and doesn't believe it, whatever! I know it to be a FACT!) Anyway, if he truly wants to change, and keep you guys together, he WILL get the help! Otherwise, obviously, he will be showing you that alcohol is more important to him than you and your marriage. My cousin is an alcoholic. He goes out to drink A LOT! His ex-girlfriend gave him an ultimatum. Quit drinking or I'm gone! He told her he was not giving up his alcohol, so she dumped him! Good luck to you! I HOPE he chooses to get the help to quit drinking! 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Good for you! Stay strong!
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Stand your ground. I had to do it with my husband and he wised up and stopped drinking, He drinks on occasion but nothing like it was before. His dad was an alcoholic for his entire left and it ended up killing him. I flat out told him I won't be like his mom and stick around so  can watch him kill himself. He wasn't happy but he knew I was at my breaking point. We have recovered from this and it was about 6 years ago. 

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Good luck!
ladybugchick317
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM

But someone has to tell him he needs help. This might be what he needs to get started and if he refusus then you know where you stand. Good luck momma.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)