Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We just called CPS on my sister...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

... and now I'm feeling really guilty.

Super long backstory summed up..

My sister and her husband have had several issues with substance abuse (pain meds for my sister and heroin- now on methadone- for my BIL) over the years. She has three kids and they have one together (11, 10, 8, & 4). She used to be a great mother, always kept things clean and kids well cared for, but the last two years or so its been all downhill. She's 29 and has a myriad of health issues- her kidneys don't function correctly, one of her lungs has collapsed twice now, and she's severly underweight (85 lbs- yes really). She has also just plain quit cleaning. Their tiny 3 bedroom duplex looks like a hoarder's home. Not only are there dirty and clean clothes all mixed together all over the floor, but they are infested with cockroaches and lice, and there is old rotten food and cigarette butts mixed in with everything. It is no place for anyone, young or old, to live. She hasn't worked in years and my BIL lost his job as a shift manager at a fast food restaraunt about a month ago. Now neither one does anything at all. The kids have even told us before that if the 10 year old doesn't cook they don't eat, so its usually mac and cheese or ramen noodles.

Last Saturday they called to ask if I could pick up kids so he could take her to the ER. Her lung had just collapsed for the second time. I ran over and got them, no big deal. They later asked if I could just keep them for a month or so to allow them time to get on their feet. All our kids go to the same school so really no big deal. Well, BIL had two full days to get things together for the kids, uniforms and play clothes and such. When I got over there with to get things, he had gotten nothing together. Nothing at all. In fact he just stood there in front of a pile and said "I don't know where the F anything is" like I was being a pain in the ass just asking for clothes for them. So, the older two kids and I dug through layers and layers of clothes on the floor just to find at least one set of school uniforms for the older three. And forget about socks and underwear. The youngest is just 4 so I needed regular clothes for him. BIL gives me pants that probably haven't fit in a year and long sleeve shirts. We live in Texas and are already past long sleeve weather. Thankfully all of the older kids are around the same size so my kids clothes can be shared for now.

My husband and I made the decision to make the call on Monday and yesterday an investigator came over to interview the kids. While all I really and truely care about is getting the kids out of that crappy situation, I can't help but feel really guilty that I've just done this to my sister. In fact, I don't plan on ever letting them or my parents know what I've done. I will not lie however if asked directly. I know I've done the right thing, I just hope it doesn't all blow up in my face. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM
You did the right thing that's all that matters. Are you willing to take them long term?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM

You have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about, you did the right thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Sounds like you did the right thing.
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this
You were entirely right to do so. Maybe cps can help them get the help they need now and make sure you keep the kids until they are straight.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I think you did what you had to.  I can't imagine children in that nightmare.  Can you or other family take in the children?

MumsTheWord571
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Hugs. It was a tough decision, but right.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM

You did the right thing!! It is hard but I would of done the same thing if I were you. Where in Texas are you? I live in Pearland just south of Houston.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM

YOU DID THE RIGHT THING.

For the children's future, and for your sister and BIL who clearly can't help themselves right now, let alone their kids.

RazzleMySpazz
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Wow, it sounds like it was def the right thing to do...... good luck

mich2.0
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Whatever happens, you did the right thing. You did what was best for those kids and honestly, what was best for your sister.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)