Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it rude to bring an 8 month old to a no-kids wedding? * ETA with new question & poll

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1239 Replies
3 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Do you think it's rude to only go to the reception?

Options:

Yes, it's very rude

No, not rude at all

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1553

View Results

We will be gone for 12 hours. I'll have to pump several times (he is ebf). I don't want to bring him, or ask if I can bring him. So I'm thinking well just go to the reception, then we'd only be gone 6-7 hours and I might get by without having to pump. the wedding is for DHs cousin and we're not very close (I've seen her 6 or 7 times in 8 years). Dh doesn't really care to miss the ceremony.

The thing is, DHs mom and brother don't have vehicles and are probably counting on coming with us. I know for sure they don't want to miss the ceremony. But that's not our problem.. It's theirs... Right? We have 2 little boys and they come first, and I don't want to be excusing myself several times from a wedding to pump.
Would you just ask if you could bring the baby??

ETA:

First of all, the ceremony is NOT 6 hours long. lol. I have included travel time, and the time in between the ceremony and the reception. (We can't just go home during that time), because it's 2 hours away. This is the amount of time I'll be away from my nursing 8 month old. I can go 7 hours without pumping (or pump on the way home as DH will be driving)

So we've decided we're not going to bring the baby (or ask). We'll go the reception only. I've seen some people think that this is rude and I want to know if it's just a few that feel that way or if it's the norm. So I've added a poll.

At my BIL's wedding, his cousin (same side of the family as this wedding) and wife didn't show up to the ceremony, but came to the reception and brought their 2 year old twin boys! My SIL was pissed but she didn't kick them out.

So if we skip the ceremony, because we have a nursing child and come to the reception kidless, I don't think that's rude and I don't think they'll see it that way. I'm sure his cousin will be happy to see us just at the reception than not at all.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM
56 moms liked this

no the baby should not go and yes ur dhs mom and brother can find their own way

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM
7 moms liked this
Yes it is rude
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM
52 moms liked this

yes, incredibly rude

no kids doesn't mean no kids except yours

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM
3 moms liked this
I wouldn't go before I asked to bring a baby to a child free wedding.
PoisonEyeV
by _ on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM
32 moms liked this

NO KIDS...means no kids. It would be rude to ask because then they would feel obligated in saying yes.

Honestly? I would just stay home.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:08 AM
3 moms liked this
It's very rude.
mygardenia
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:08 AM
16 moms liked this

No I would not ask. I would respect their wishes. Just tell them you can't make it and send a gift. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM
3 moms liked this
No kids means no kids. Very simple.
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM
4 moms liked this

No. It's rude. 

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM
7 moms liked this

No kids means no kids.

But I wouldn't attend a wedding where no children were allowed. I was pretty pissed I had to leave my one year old behind only to find out there were plenty of kids there that were part of the wedding.

ETA I meant to say NOT a part of the wedding. I missed a word. Sorry. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)