Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Godparent Question... GET IN HERE!... Please?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM
  • 4 Replies

Okay, so DH's best friend (we'll call him J) and his wife have been TTC for years- ever since I've known them.

He is the Godfather of our kids (DSD, DS and DD), really just an awesome guy, and his wife is pretty cool, too.

Well, they just found out they are expecting! I am SUPER happy for them! I can't erase the smile from my face! Nobody deserves it more than them. They are gonna be wonderful parents.

Last night, J calls DH and asks him to be the baby's Godfather.

I hear the friend say my name, but whatever. They frequently talk about each other's spouses- nothing bad, nothing new.

Well, when they get off the phone, I ask DH what that was about, and he said that, of course, J asked him to be the GF, but was scared because they didn't want to hurt me in not asking me to be GM.

?

Of course they wouldn't choose me! I said to DH, and I still think so, that they would choose J's wife's sister, or best friend for that.

DH thought I'm crazy, and apparently, J would have, too, since he was worried it would hurt my feelers.

So, my question to you, would you be hurt that your husband's best friend didn't ask you to be his baby's GM?

Am I really weird for not being hurt over this?

Thanks!

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
goldpandora
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I think you have a perfectly sane view of the situation. You don't HAVE to pick couples to be godparents. I very much agree with your point of view. My husband is his sister's eldest child's godfather. I wasn't asked to be godmother because they chose her husband's sister (I'm wondering if I should draw a diagram for that or whether it was comprehensible - lol). Seems fine to me :)

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Nope none of my kids have married husband and wives.  We have have my brother but not my SIL, We have my BIL and not my SIL, I have my sister and not my BIL.  ETC.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM

it wouldnt bother me either.    For us  dh picked the godfather and I picked the god mother.   then we just decided to keep it simple and re use the same ppl.  godfather is my hubby's twin brother and godmother is my sister.  if and when my sis has kids she may ask i be the god mother but i'm pretty sure they would ask someone other than dh to be the godfather.  and if my bil had kids  he would ask dh but not me.  and thats fine.

donnag013
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I had my married couple/best friends AND my sister as godparents, so my kids had 3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)