• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me save my basement!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
I have a finished basement. It has a drain pipe that had a cap on it. Well it is a clay pipe and it appears that drain is now falling apart. It is backing up through this little hole (we are under a flood alert because of heavy rain). The drain now has a plug that expands as it is tightened by a screw but can not seem to get a good seal where these pieces have broke off. What else can I use to plug this so it don't back up anymore?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
niki_hubbard
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Call a plumber! Quickly! A basement floods quickly. Trust me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:15 PM
I called a few but they can't get out here till later today at earliest. It is down pouring outside :-/ plus so far it has only backed up maybe 2 cups of water onto the tile

Quoting niki_hubbard:

MooBaaLaLaLa80
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM

oooo thats gonna be expensive to fix

Melissa_4
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Are you an Angie's List member?  I'd try looking for a plumber on there, as well as the local papers, craigslist, and if you have a Treasure Hunt in your area (a little local shopper magazine) try them.  

Good luck!

ILovemyPaulie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:19 PM

"Flex Seal". $12.99 they sell it at Hardware stores and Target. Go to a Hardware store and see what else they recommend. Maybe a clamp of some kind as well.

niki_hubbard
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Call your dad. And father in law. Go to google. Figure something out, or it is going to be worse. Our basement went from bone dry to flooded halfway up the stairs in around two hours..

Quoting Anonymous: I called a few but they can't get out here till later today at earliest. It is down pouring outside :-/ plus so far it has only backed up maybe 2 cups of water onto the tile
Quoting niki_hubbard:

Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Can you hit a hardware store real quick and rent a sump pump for the day? It'll keep your basement dry while waiting for the plumber. I'd also get everything off the floor. Some places will give pallets away for free. Just ask around.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:28 PM
The pipe would not fit a sump pump and we have a sump pump in the next room over so if would flow there before it gets where it would ruin things but thanks

Quoting Rhodin: Can you hit a hardware store real quick and rent a sump pump for the day? It'll keep your basement dry while waiting for the plumber. I'd also get everything off the floor. Some places will give pallets away for free. Just ask around.
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:29 PM

You need to call a plumber.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)