Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else have a mom like mine?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

Anyone else have a mom/parents like mine?

- My mom NEVER calls me. I mean NEVER. Well I think she has on my bday, does that count? Her wa y of communication is strictly email.  I do call her ocassionally and I ususally always regret it.  She also of course does not call my kids, or ask to speak to them on the phone.

-  I have no memory of my mom ever saying "I love you" in the past 36 years of my life. Though in her emails she has written "We love you!'

- My parents (yes the y are still married) primary way of showing love is through gifts. THey paid for my college, bought me a frist car, and give  us about $3,000 every Christmas.  My mom sends random packages to me and my kids of things she orders online.  Like soap.  Shoes. Sometimes I don't even open them for awhile and leave them in the closet. 

- She is defintiely not someone I can turn to in times of crisis or anything like that. Or ask for advice or anything.

- She lives 5 hours away. When we visit the conversation is always about complaining about random people, complaining about the president/politics, gossiping about other people, complianing about my dad's family, and maybe talking about gossip on tv.

Would you say this is dysfunctional?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:03 PM

My parents live 5 min away,barely ever call or even come over. My mom treats my sister and her kids the same way. We see them for holidays and they give us money but they sometimes don't even answer the phone cause they don't want to be bothered. It's really sad but I'm used to it and have gotten over it. They act like hey are so busy but I'm the one with kids at home. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Somewhat...my mom and I aren't close at all. She is the type of person that thinks she is always right- and nobody else is ever right. It's her way or the highway. She likes to belittle people and hold grudges. We live a state away from each other- about 11 hours from each other..we hardly talk.

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Not ideal to be sure

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:06 PM
My mom is dysfunctional in her own manipulative, self serving way which is why we never speak
Marinemom03
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM
My mom lives 30 minutes away and I don't talk to her at all anymore.I can't trust her.she is a gossip and tells anyone who will listen everything.she also adds my exes and their wives/girlfriends as friends on Facebook
I so wish I had a loving normal mom
onethentwins
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM

No i'd call it quirky.  btw, gift giving is a Love Language. 

Hubris_Huntsman
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:09 PM
My mom isn't like that but I don't think its dysfunctional. People have different ways of showing love. She's a doer rather than a talker.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Nope. My mom's an abusive twat and I haven't spoken to her in 2 years. She would tell me she loved me but then follow it up by saying everything she hated about me too. 

You can't win them all. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM

My parents are 3 hours away. Mom calls too often, mostly to tell me how I should live my life, try to convince me to go to church, talks about my siblings... She turns everything around so it's about HER. She's selfish, immature, dramatic, manipulative, and a people-pleaser. She complains about my dad, even though he does so much for her. She's unappreciative of everything.

Got her pink roses for Mother's Day. "How come they're not yellow?"

Crocheted her a shawl for her birthday "I'm only worth a few rolls of yarn to you?"

When I lived with her, I had my room arranged as I wanted it. She hated it. When I went out of town for a weekend, I came back and she had completely rearranged my room. Then went on to tell me "I do so much for you! I rearranged your room and you didn't even thank me! You're so ungrateful!"

She accused me of claiming I was raped as an excuse to cheat on my then-boyfriend.

I was sick when I gave birth to my first child. I had him dressed for his first pictures in his take-home outfit and while I was sleeping, she changed him into something SHE wanted him to wear.

I had a miscarriage a few months ago and she thinks I'm selfish because I don't want to talk about my SIL's new baby that's coming over the weekend.

Wanna trade?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Actually in many ways she sounds like my mom, esp the room arranging thing, that is exactly what my mom whould do when I was younger...

Quoting Anonymous:

My parents are 3 hours away. Mom calls too often, mostly to tell me how I should live my life, try to convince me to go to church, talks about my siblings... She turns everything around so it's about HER. She's selfish, immature, dramatic, manipulative, and a people-pleaser. She complains about my dad, even though he does so much for her. She's unappreciative of everything.

Got her pink roses for Mother's Day. "How come they're not yellow?"

Crocheted her a shawl for her birthday "I'm only worth a few rolls of yarn to you?"

When I lived with her, I had my room arranged as I wanted it. She hated it. When I went out of town for a weekend, I came back and she had completely rearranged my room. Then went on to tell me "I do so much for you! I rearranged your room and you didn't even thank me! You're so ungrateful!"

She accused me of claiming I was raped as an excuse to cheat on my then-boyfriend.

I was sick when I gave birth to my first child. I had him dressed for his first pictures in his take-home outfit and while I was sleeping, she changed him into something SHE wanted him to wear.

I had a miscarriage a few months ago and she thinks I'm selfish because I don't want to talk about my SIL's new baby that's coming over the weekend.

Wanna trade?

Actually she does

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)