• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you keep your kid occupied at your dr visits?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies
I'm a sahm with no babysitter. My husband takes time off of work for my dr and dentist appointments. But he can't always. So I have to bring my kid. He's 3 now, and will NOT sit or be quiet so I can talk with the dr. He may sit for a minute, but then he's tugging at me saying mom, mom, mom. I tell him I'm talking and I need him to be quiet and sit. Just 5 minutes kid. I bring books, snacks, I bribe him with things he can have after if he's good, or tell him what he's losing if he's not. I will take away his tv time, tablet, any treats, etc for the rest if the day. Time outs, swat on the buns. Nothing works. He's the same at home but I can handle it, kind of, but I have an appt tomorow I can't miss and it's important.

I know, you'll say get a babysitter, I agree. But at this time, even if I did, my son is snotty and coughing sick so I wouldn't want anyone to take him. I have to take him.

Advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Ipad
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Angry birds on my phone. Life saver
MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM

How do you handle it when he does it at home?Allow it?If so,don't be surprised that he does it at the Dr's office.

Heisenberg
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's a bump, I always go alone to appointments.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:13 PM
I take things away and he has time outs. But I'm not trying to hold an adult conversation while doing it. So it's a little different.

Quoting MrsApple:

How do you handle it when he does it at home?Allow it?If so,don't be surprised that he does it at the Dr's office.

Cantthinkofone3
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:13 PM
Netflix or YouTube cartoons on your phone, and bring headphones. Good luck :)
punkomama08
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM
I have him pick a toy or two to take with. Also I take my kindle (ir use my phone) and some headphones and set him up with a cartoon or some angry birds
jwaren
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Honestly, it takes practice. It sounds like he isn't used to not being the center of attention.  He needs to learn appropriate times to ask questions etc.  It comes with practice.  My kids can look at books.  That is it.  When the dr comes in, they know they have to wait if they have a question.  I have fournd, the less you bring, the less drama they have.  

Bring a notebook and pen, and a coupe of picture books.  He can sit and draw or look at books while the dr is there.  Whie you wait, play games with him, sing songs, play  I spy, just interact with him.  And then when the dr comes in, hand him the bag and set him in a chair and give him directions.  Good Luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:15 PM
He has a tablet I'll take, but I just know we get in different environments and he's not interested in anything except talking to me and showing me anything and everything!

Quoting TiffanyRose06: Angry birds on my phone. Life saver
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)