• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is 50/50 custody good?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM
  • 40 Replies

I am a advocate for 50/50 if the parents both live in close proximity of each other. But if there is a distance of 45 minutes to an hour I don't think it is in the best interest. Debate away!

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:12 PM
I live close to my xh, but he's irresponsible and would never get 50/50. Even at the end of the custody battle the judge said how he lived was pathetic
pinklove0015
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I think the only way there shouldn't be 50/50 is if there is distance or if the father is irresponsible and unfit. 

Quoting TiffanyRose06: I live close to my xh, but he's irresponsible and would never get 50/50. Even at the end of the custody battle the judge said how he lived was pathetic

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:16 PM
Yeah i wouldn't of minded 50/50 if he wasnt an idiot

Quoting pinklove0015:

I think the only way there shouldn't be 50/50 is if there is distance or if the father is irresponsible and unfit. 

Quoting TiffanyRose06: I live close to my xh, but he's irresponsible and would never get 50/50. Even at the end of the custody battle the judge said how he lived was pathetic

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:17 PM
In my case, deadbeat would be lucky to get supervised visits.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I think it depends on a lot of things.  I don't think a 45 minute or an hour distance would be bad  depending on circumstances.   I know that my step-brother father lived about 45 minutes to an hour away depending on traffic most days.  He worked about 10 minutes away from where my step-mom and dad lived so it wasn't that far out of the way to drop off my step-brother to school or to my step-mom at home. 

I think each situation is different and you can't put a blanket statement on what is or isn't the best for custody.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Quoting pinklove0015:

So you think kids are fine with packing up and mving twice a week?  I mean sure they can have some of their stuff at each house-but kids have favoirte toys, favorite games....

My ex wanted joint.  The Judge simply said. No I won't do joint custody for a school aged child.

My guess is my ex just wanted it 50/50 because he wanted me to pay him child support.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it depends on a lot of things.  I don't think a 45 minute or an hour distance would be bad  depending on circumstances.   I know that my step-brother father lived about 45 minutes to an hour away depending on traffic most days.  He worked about 10 minutes away from where my step-mom and dad lived so it wasn't that far out of the way to drop off my step-brother to school or to my step-mom at home. 

I think each situation is different and you can't put a blanket statement on what is or isn't the best for custody.

How about school and friends?  In my district-unless the kid is IN district for the majority of time-you have to pay to enroll them.  So you can't do 50/50-one parent has to have a bit more.

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM

It seems to work well for one of DS's best friends. His parents live about 20-25 minutes apart.

ETA - They spend Mon-Sun with each parent. Mom takes them to school Monday and Dad picks them up and keep them until the following Monday. They have been doing this for a few years now.

hopeandglory53
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Depends on the situation and if both parents are suitable.

liltampa71
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:27 PM

My son's dad and I had 60/40 (me 60) before my son was in school, and it worked great.  It wouldn't have worked once he started school, so it went to me with primary custody.  However, his dad is offered every school break and has him 2 weeks each month June--August.  (He can't always take school breaks, but he is offered them)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)