• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Finally have a surgery date!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Any mamma deal with their child having surgery?

My LO is 2 years old and was born with pstermedial bowing of the tibia. It is very close to the ankle so she stands on the side of her foot. She still walks and runs, she walked at 12 months.. she is perfectly normal and healthy.

They will be breaking both the tibia and fibia and straightening the bones and pinning them in place right after Easter. I am scared to death! She will be in a full leg cast for 6 weeks after that. The cast will be bent at 90 degrees making walking nearly impossible. I feel like she is going to be angry with us since she really cant understand what is happening. I knwow she wont remember when she is older but it is still driving me insane thinking about the aftermath...

i guess this is more of a vent.. lol... but any thoughts or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Bump

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Just keep in mind how happy your little one will be to be able to walk and run normally! She's little now, but they grow so fast, in a few years she will want to dance, or play softball! :)

liltampa71
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I haven't had my child have surgery, but my friend's son was born with a tibia shorter on one leg than the other.  He had to have several surgeries to have it stretched.  It was tough, but now that he is older, he is glad it was done.

Now that it's warmer, can you get her a riding toy to scoot around in?  That's what they did for him, and he loved it and could keep up with everyone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM

The only thing I can offer is that she won't remember this. Btw, how will she be able to ride in her car seat, or will that not be a problem?

TurtleMomma82
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Been there, I had two kids with clubfoot.  Casts for the first several months of their lives and braces for months after that.  Just remember it's for her benefit and it's such a short amount of time to ensure she doesn't have walking/posture issues as she grows.  Good luck, I hope the surgery goes well!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Thats a good idea!

We have riding toys but didnt think about that..... She isnt a little baby anymore I was starting to get nervous about having to carry her everywhere. She is one little independant little girl so I am fearful on how she will react

Quoting liltampa71:

I haven't had my child have surgery, but my friend's son was born with a tibia shorter on one leg than the other.  He had to have several surgeries to have it stretched.  It was tough, but now that he is older, he is glad it was done.

Now that it's warmer, can you get her a riding toy to scoot around in?  That's what they did for him, and he loved it and could keep up with everyone.

TurtleMomma82
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Forgot to add, they both had minor surgery on the tendons too, so I understand how scary that can be as well

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM

That was one of my questions yesterday.. I guess the doctor doesnt see an issue because the kneww will be bent 90 degrees. So it shouldnt matter

Quoting Anonymous:

The only thing I can offer is that she won't remember this. Btw, how will she be able to ride in her car seat, or will that not be a problem?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)