Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

custody

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

Do you think mother's should automatically get custody? IMO I think if the mother is unfit to be a parent then dad should get custody. If both parents are fit I think custody should go to the better parent. Opinions? 

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoisonEyeV
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Should go to the better parent...so who & what determines that?

Halfdeafmommy
by Pure Honesty on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I think if both parents are fit then they should have shared custody. If one is unfit the only the fit one should have it.

pinklove0015
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Shared custody as in 50/50? 

Quoting Halfdeafmommy:

I think if both parents are fit then they should have shared custody. If one is unfit the only the fit one should have it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:55 PM

if both are fit parents then it should be joint and if one is not fit the other i hate they fact the courts think the mother should automaticaly get the child

Halfdeafmommy
by Pure Honesty on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Yes. Have you not ever heard of that? It is commonly used.

Quoting pinklove0015:

Quoting Halfdeafmommy:

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM
I think it's not as black-and-white as you make it seem. What makes a "better parent"? There are so many factors that go into deciding who should have primary custody, what the visitation should be for the non-custodial parent, what stipulations there should be in the custody order...It's not so simple as, "You're the better parent, you get custody!" Boom! We're done. It doesn't work that way. I think a lot of dads get screwed by a mom-friendly system, though.
pinklove0015
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Ok so what happens if parents are both equally good? 

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole: I think it's not as black-and-white as you make it seem. What makes a "better parent"? There are so many factors that go into deciding who should have primary custody, what the visitation should be for the non-custodial parent, what stipulations there should be in the custody order...It's not so simple as, "You're the better parent, you get custody!" Boom! We're done. It doesn't work that way. I think a lot of dads get screwed by a mom-friendly system, though.

pinklove0015
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:04 PM

50/50 doesn't always work. 

Quoting Halfdeafmommy:

Quoting pinklove0015:

Quoting Halfdeafmommy:

Halfdeafmommy
by Pure Honesty on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Obviously but the sistuation is not as black and white is it seems. Only a judge and a court can help you out here. Obviously if a mother is unfit then custody should go to the father or vice versa. Other times if both parents are fit it should be 50/50

Quoting pinklove0015:

50/50 doesn't always work. 

Quoting Halfdeafmommy:

Quoting pinklove0015:

Quoting Halfdeafmommy:

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I think as long as both parents are fit it should be 50/50. I think that's what's fair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)